O2 Sensor Bypass

CivicEx'00

I have read many forums about this, and have heard only contradicting information. (I have a 2000 EX EM1 D16y8 if it matters)

All the while there are plenty of different looking products promising to fix the problem for cheap

Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple or cheap way to get around having a test pipe in place of a cat, and avoiding the dreaded CEL?

Thanks for any input

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mrcraigsr

Respected
Is there a reason you want to bypass the downstream sensor?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is there a reason you want to bypass the downstream sensor?

The 2nd o2 sensor is used for emissions only, which requires a catalytic convertor. OP does not have one because he has a test pipe, so he needs to trick the sensor into thinking the cat is present, or else he will get a CEL.

@CivicEx'00 , look into the o2 non-fouler trick. You basically well a bung into your downpipe, get a couple non-foulers, screw the o2 sensor into one of them (you might need to modify the non-fouler slightly), screw the second non-fouler into the first and screw that into the bung. All this does is push the sensor out of the direct flow of exhaust gases, eliminating the amount that reaches the sensor. This tricks the sensor into thinking the cat is there, and no CEL will light up.

Some good pics can be found in this thread here.

mrcraigsr

Respected
I did the spark plug fouler on mine after replacing the O2 sensor and it not fixing the cel. The spark plug fouler did the trick. A catalytic converter was clogged up and I just bang the inside out so it looks like there's a catalytic converter on there however it's a straight pipe

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just buy an extended o2 bung off ebay for like 8$. I like the 90 degree ones that way the o2 is really out of the exhaust stream