OBD II won't link

plongson

5+ Year Member
Greetings, new here and this is my first post.

Did a search and came up empty handed.

My OBD II scanner won't link with my 2006 Civic EX. It plugs in fine, but when you hit the "LINK" button to retrieve codes, after about 10 seconds, the scanner comes up "ERR"

Had a gas cap message that turned into a check engine light. Changed the cap and needed to clear the code. Removed the battery overnight and the code cleared but, the scanner still won't retrieve codes.

Any thoughts? Car runs fine.

THANKS...

RonJ

Banned
Have you checked for a blown fuse in the DLC circuit?

RonJ

Banned
For 7th generation Civics, there is a fuse under the hood that protects the circuit for the data link connector (DLC). Power for the scan tool is supplied through this fuse. If the fuse is blown, the scan tool won't get power and therefore won't communicate with the ECU. Look for a fuse that includes DLC its description.

plongson

5+ Year Member
For 7th generation Civics, there is a fuse under the hood that protects the circuit for the data link connector (DLC). Power for the scan tool is supplied through this fuse. If the fuse is blown, the scan tool won't get power and therefore won't communicate with the ECU. Look for a fuse that includes DLC its description.
Thanks, I go check.

BUT... The scan reader had icons that indicated there was a connection between both units AND it indicated it was being powered by the ECM...it just wouldn't link, thus the "ERR"

VERY strange...Has there been any reports of Honda Civics NOT communicating with SOME OBDII scanners??

I'm about half stumped...

RonJ

Banned
If your scan tool has a battery, it may have power to display the error message. Locate the DLC fuse and test it.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
go to honda and let them hook up HDS because im pretty sure its your scanner.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I also think it is the scanner. Not all scanners work in all cars- I say this with experience.
B

06Accord6spd

OK, so I found this thread in a google search. I've got the same problem with my '06 Accord and I am stumped. I have tried 2 different scanners and I have connected to this car with both of them in the past and they do work with other vehicles. Car runs but there are some codes in there. It has been suggested that the PCM might be bad but I'd think that the car probably wouldn't run if that was the case. I assume that there is still communication going on since there are various modules that have to talk to each other but possibly it is a different protocol.

Anyway, does anyone know if "plongson" ever got this figured out? My scan tool does power though the ALDL port and does not have a battery so I know that isn't the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Todd