OBD1 Better for tuning?

deevibez17

1999 Civic Hx
5+ Year Member
I'll be doing a f20b swap in the summer and a dude told me that i'll be at an disadvantage when tuning an obd2 ecu.Because obd1's are better for tuning.

I didnt think it mattered but how true is this?..

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It has to do with emissions. OBDII is more strict. OBDI is less complicated.

deevibez17

1999 Civic Hx
5+ Year Member
is it the same issue wit k20's?
i dont know anything about tuning and the complexity of it.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you swapped a k20 you would want to run k-pro. Then you're fine, you set your own rules for the car to follow.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Basically an OBDII can be tuned with a lot of limitations... The Odb1 world has been ripped apart over and over and has been figured out... So you walk into a shop with a tuned OBDII you are less likely to find support in some words... It is just all around better to run OBDI when tuning. If you were to say have a B18 from a 98 Integra into a 98 Civic and just wanted stock set up I would slap the OBDII ecu in and go. But when tuning you would be dumb not to go with OBDI

deevibez17

1999 Civic Hx
5+ Year Member
Basically an OBDII can be tuned with a lot of limitations... The Odb1 world has been ripped apart over and over and has been figured out... So you walk into a shop with a tuned OBDII you are less likely to find support in some words... It is just all around better to run OBDI when tuning. If you were to say have a B18 from a 98 Integra into a 98 Civic and just wanted stock set up I would slap the OBDII ecu in and go. But when tuning you would be dumb not to go with OBDI
dats whats up, definitely something to consider for the future.
thanx yow.