OBD2 Scan Tool

Dtghbg

Good Day,

I found the three pin connector. I bought a 3 pin to 16p OBDII with a wifi OBDII adapter. The device powers up but unable to find the protocol to use with the car. After going through the car manual, I found that it said "Connect the OBD ll Scan Tool (conforming to SAE J1978)". So the protocol, i would think, is SAE J1978 but the OBDII adapter does not support that.

I purchased https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0SDLRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053NRSN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Can anyone tell me if they have a scan tool that supports that protocol and probably even tried it with a 96 Civic? If possible an app that also supports that.

I have tried to google for that protocol but to no help.

Last edited:

TS2008

I bought a very cheap OBDII Bluetooth adapter from Ebay and it works great with Torque Pro app.

Dtghbg

Can you link it to me? Do you have a 96 Civic or equivalent to having to use a 3pin to OBDII ? What protocol is vehicle using? Can you try Torque Lite app and tell me if it still works?

TS2008

Dtghbg

Can you try using lite for me and also what protocol is being used in the Pro edition? My device comes on with the car completely off. Do you have to turn on your vehicle or get the ignition on for the app to work?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A lot of the cheap adapters don't work or will have issues, I bought a 15$ one on ebay last year and couldn't get it to connect

TS2008

Can you try using lite for me and also what protocol is being used in the Pro edition? My device comes on with the car completely off. Do you have to turn on your vehicle or get the ignition on for the app to work?
Hummm... How come you have 3 pin connector in your car? My car has the standard 16 pin OBDII connector and I don't have to play with protocol to bridge with my Bluetooth adaptor or for scanning data ?

Edit: and Yes I have to turn the key to ON before the adapter can connect with my tablet or my smartphone.

Last edited:

TS2008

A lot of the cheap adapters don't work or will have issues, I bought a 15$ one on ebay last year and couldn't get it to connect
I have two of these cheap adapters and I never have any problem with connection nor scanning data.( knock the wood ).

TS2008

To OP: You adapter works with WiFi and not with Bluetooth. For this, you need to go to torque lite setting and choose wifi instead of Bluetooth. Also once this is done, you need to go to your wifi setting in your smartphone or in your tablet and select your adapter signal instead of your router signal.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just waited for a sale for an Actron mini scanner.. I paid bout 36 bucks. I keep it in the glove box for when acquaintances have CEL's

Dtghbg

Hummm... How come you have 3 pin connector in your car? My car has the standard 16 pin OBDII connector and I don't have to play with protocol to bridge with my Bluetooth adaptor or for scanning data ?

Edit: and Yes I have to turn the key to ON before the adapter can connect with my tablet or my smartphone.
I have a wifi version. I once left my torque on while driving for 20 mins but still got nothing. Torque was going through multiple protocols to get the right one that I would think talks to the ECU.

Dtghbg

To OP: You adapter works with WiFi and not with Bluetooth. For this, you need to go to torque lite setting and choose wifi instead of Bluetooth. Also once this is done, you need to go to your wifi setting in your smartphone or in your tablet and select your adapter signal instead of your router signal.
I have already one this.

TS2008

To OP: did you test your adapter with an other obdII vehicle to make sure the adapter works as it should ?

Dtghbg

I tested it but my friend got pass the issue I had but ran into another issue with two different testers. Any other suggestions?