Occasional High-Pitch Noise

jackdog1

I have a '97 Civic DX Coupe, and I occasionally hear a high-pitch noise from somewhere around the engine. I usually hear it only when accelerating, especially on uphill turns. However, I sometimes hear it even when the engine is parked and idling. I can't tell for sure where it's coming from, but I think it may be from the power steering pump.

The sound has never gotten worse, and about half the time I won't hear it once while driving. My question is whether this is something that probably needs to be fixed, or if I can safely ignore it.

BrayanGonza

Respected
I have a '97 Civic DX Coupe, and I occasionally hear a high-pitch noise from somewhere around the engine. I usually hear it only when accelerating, especially on uphill turns. However, I sometimes hear it even when the engine is parked and idling. I can't tell for sure where it's coming from, but I think it may be from the power steering pump.

The sound has never gotten worse, and about half the time I won't hear it once while driving. My question is whether this is something that probably needs to be fixed, or if I can safely ignore it.
The hatchback I just bought makes kind of like a high pitch whistle when hitting the gas. I was told it was the air intake since the car came with a cheap aftermarket intake.

jackdog1

The hatchback I just bought makes kind of like a high pitch whistle when hitting the gas. I was told it was the air intake since the car came with a cheap aftermarket intake.
It is a whistle-like sound with mine too, I'll check that then. I'm guessing though that if it is that, it should be harmless then?

BrayanGonza

Respected
It is a whistle-like sound with mine too, I'll check that then. I'm guessing though that if it is that, it should be harmless then?
Yeah if it's that it should be harmless I believe. It's kind of annoying though so I'm going to try to get rid of it lol

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
When you are turning the wheel does the noise get worse?
This is either belt slippage or very dirty fluid causing metal to metal contact inside the pump.
Does the steering wheel jump when turning?
Caused by belt slippage.​

jackdog1

When you are turning the wheel does the noise get worse?
This is either belt slippage or very dirty fluid causing metal to metal contact inside the pump.
Does the steering wheel jump when turning?
Caused by belt slippage.​
No, it will make the sound even when the car is just idling and the wheel isn't turned at all. The volume of the sound doesn't change even when the wheel is changed. I'll check the fluid again, but I thought it was clean (not dirty and no metal flecks).

And no, the steering is actually very smooth, even on tight turns

Considering the sound only occurs half the time I'm driving and only in certain conditions, I'm less inclined to think it has something to do with dirty fluid or belt slippage. Thanks though.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How does the AC perform? Does it get cold enough? It may be the AC pulley bearing, which can start randomly squealing as it begins to fail, which is possible if it sat for long. It may be salvageable by draining and refilling the freon, professionally. Thatll ensure the system gets enough oil as well.

Last edited:

jackdog1

How does the AC perform? Does it get cold enough? It may be the AC pulley bearing, which can stsrt rsndomly squealing as it begins to fail, which is oossible if it sat for long. It may be salvageable by draining and refilling the freon, professionally. Thstll ensure the system gets enough oil as well.
Not sure actually. I know the AC works, but I haven't had a chance to really test it (I probably do need recharge it at least). I looked that up, and found out that if the sound lessens or stops when the AC is turned on, then the pulley bearing is the problem. I'll test that next time it starts making the noise.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had that issue. My current aftermarket compressor finally kicked it about a year and a half ago. About 6 months ago it started randomly, then progressed to regularly, squeaking. I cut the AC belt and problem solved. You need to remove the lower engine mount to remove the AC belt. Now Im just waiting to have the money to install a new Sanden compressor & belt. In the meantime its less strain on the motor. Nothing outperforms Honda original compressors on a Civic.