Octane Usage Guide

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Far too often do we need to explain to people why to ONLY use factory recommended octanes (usually its me lately). Instead of regularly typing up the same explanation and answering the same line of questioning, I'd like to make this the go-to reference thread for anytime someone asks and also a simple search reference.

This is to serve as a general reference so as to be easily understandable, so I'd like to avoid all the refined chemistry references and technical jargon. There's plenty of it online so lets just stick to the layman version for this thread. As I accrue information I will update this first thread accordingly, so don't hesitate to contribute helpful and accurate information or correct me when needed. A while back I heavily researched this for the sake of standard car usage as there was so much conflicting information, however, octane usage in performance settings are another animal I havent researched so I need the experts help on that topic.

Octane in Factory / Unmodified Engines:

Rule #1: The higher the octane the higher the ignition temperature & compression needed to fully properly burn the fuel. Stock ECUs cannot adjust to these differences because different components are needed to efficiently create & handle the stronger needed combustion.

Using a Higher or Lower Octane: Using higher octane than recommended leads to unburned fuel that turns into deposits throughout the injection system and beyond. That can clog and impede components over time and reduce fuel efficiency because your computer isn't programmed to adjust to that. Using lower octane than recommended can lead to pre-detonation, meaning fuel burns up too easily and doesn't create the necessary pressure to fully move the pistons, thus reduced power and efficiency. You wont get any deposit build-up but the engine will run poorly.

Octane in Modified / Upgraded Engines:
(This is not within my realm of expertise so dont hesitate to correct me or add info)
Engine upgrades such as port & polished cylinders, distributor upgrades, ignition coils, piston upgrades, higher flow injectors, turbo kits, etc. may benefit from using a higher octane because compression has been increased so stronger combustion is needed. When compression goes up you can either use a higher octane & retard timing or stay with the same octane & advance timing. Reprogramming the ECU accordingly is usually required as well. This all depends on the severity of the internal upgrades and bolt-on's. If you're tackling such mods, this line of thinking MUST be considered for it all to be done properly.

Conclusion:
Stick to Factory Recommended Octane!
Or
Prepare for Problems!

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Hex I have to step in a bit, the octane rating is a resistance to detonation. Not actually a "more complete burn" rating. This is a VERY common misconception. I have run 87 octane in the old stock B16 for thousands of miles and after I tore it down it has very, very, light pitting from the detonation that occurred.

(I didn't care at the time as I am constantly building another motor)

On another note, of topic, to resolve that issue I sanded he tops to smooth out the pitting and had them ceramic coated. Reused the pistons and never looked back until I swapped motors and inspected the pistons again. Absolutely NO added wear after 30,000+ miles.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hex I have to step in a bit, the octane rating is a resistance to detonation. Not actually a "more complete burn" rating. This is a VERY common misconception. I have run 87 octane in the old stock B16 for thousands of miles and after I tore it down it has very, very, light pitting from the detonation that occurred.
True, but I simplified it for the sake of basic understanding so I dont believe I'm off in that regard. Im not really saying "complete burn" though.

** CORRECTION: I noticed the one usage of the phrase "fully burn" and corrected it. Didnt notice amongst the multiple times I went back and forth trying to write this thing.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I actually did a pretty thorough write up on octane and fuels last weekend.

Write up located here.

I have remembered a few other things, so I'm probably going to edit it slightly tonight or tomorrow. The information is still valid, I've just remembered addition things I forgot during the write up. Feel free to question/comment.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the addition. I'll need to make time to thoroughly read through it and see what can be added. What prompted you to write that thorough piece?

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What prompted you to write that thorough piece?
Just something I do from time to time, when I think about it. Especially over subjects that aren't well understood or have a lot of misconceptions.

I'm putting together a post for engine oil also, but that's going to take a while, because there's a lot of information and misinformation on that subject.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll have to send you the link to my thread on oil filters to see what you think and either add to it or merge yours as well. We may consider collaborating from time to time.

dancam

Registered VIP
I'm putting together a post for engine oil also, but that's going to take a while, because there's a lot of information and misinformation on that subject.
Understatement of the year right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk