OEM starter replacement

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay I ordered my starter this morning at Napa Auto Parts. Came out to $228 I get $50 when I return the stock starter. Anyways I looked up the replacement instructions in the manual posted at the top of this forum. God bless to who ever posted it as a sticky. I shall tackle this issue this weekend. Anyone have any better options for a OEM starter instead of just getting a cheap $50 bucks as a core charge? By the way the starter I purchased is brand new not remanufactured and comes with a one year warranty.

I will take detailed photo's of the replacement and hopefully I can get it up as a DYI. It looks pretty straight forward.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:werd: we need more DIYs like that, it would be helpful to have DIYs on replacing bad parts so we dont always have to crack open out Haynes manual.... g/l on the replacement, starters arent too hard

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay guys I replaced the starter and just as I was about to get my digital camera I was done. This replacement was so dam fast it's ridiculous. This was so easy to do no need to make a write up on a five minute job. Car starts right up sounds awesome.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Can't believe you went with new aftermarket part. You could have got a Oem part for that price or went salvage for 35 bucks.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i woulda gave you one cheap.. i have so many starters just sitting around from swaps

BTW you ordered it from a part store its refurbished.

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I ordered it from Napa Auto Parts. Hey I have a one year warranty is anything happens so I have a sense of mind knowing I'm covered if it break within a year. I pretty sure most used auto parts and CC members will not give me a one year warranty on a used part that can break right after a day’s usage. Yeah I might have paid a lot but its new (Not refurbished) the refurbished one that had was $138 I went with the new option. And paid what I paid for it. A wise CC member changes my mind on ordering a used starter and he made a lot of sense with his fact so I went for the new part.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i understand that knowing is better then worring.. but most part stores offer rebuilt parts only

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Correct they do offer rebuilt items but I optioned for a brand new one I don't like refurbished items. I once bought a refurbished PS and the s**t lasted a month so I said never again will I get a refurbished item. It's just a nice way of labeling once broken but now repaired.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dont_Tri said:
Correct they do offer rebuilt items but I optioned for a brand new one I don't like refurbished items. I once bought a refurbished PS and the s**t lasted a month so I said never again will I get a refurbished item. It's just a nice way of labeling once broken but now repaired.
I hope you love spending money on brand new axles.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Refurb'd axle.. IMP, are s**t.. why? because the last aftermarket/refurb axle I had, ultimately destroyed my GSR trans..
The inner snap-ring was effed up and wouldn't release, so the axle became stuck inside the diff. and trying for 2 days to get it to release, ultimately killing the diff bearings.. Result? hurridly needing another trans to get the car back on the road.. $700 later, I had a used trans and a 60# boat anchor with an axle stub still hung in it...