1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

OFFICIAL DIY: Converting OBDII To OBDI Using A Boomslang Conversion Harness

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain DIY How-To's' started by Jay Jay, Jan 22, 2006.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Jay Jay

Jay Jay Administrator Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG Premium 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

DIY: Converting OBDII to OBDI using a Boomslang conversion harness

Applicable Years: 92-00 Honda Civic, 90-01 Acura Integra

Difficulty: 1 out of 5

Estimated Time: 30mins

Converting to OBDI with the Boomslang harness is super easy as it’s a plug-n-play mod only taking about 5 minutes.

This conversion was done on a 97 civic with a b18c1.

Tools and items needed:
    -ODBI ecu
    -Boomslang OBD2A to OBD1 Conversion Harness
    1996-1999 Acura Integra
    1996-1998 Honda Civic
    1996-2001 Honda Prelude
    1996-1997 Honda Accord
    This harness can be had for only $75 shipped. To order one click this link http://www.boomslang.us/obd2to1.htm

Instructions:

Locate the passenger side kick panel and remove the cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unplug the engine harness from the ecu.
    [​IMG]
    ODBII ecu connections
    [​IMG]
    ODBI ecu connections
    [​IMG]

Plug the engine harness into the Boomslang harness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plug the Boomslang harness into the ODBI ecu and reverse the above directions to put everything back together.
    [​IMG]

That’s it! Wasn’t that easier than hacking your stock wire harness. Now you can easily switch back to ODBII if need be.

Big thanks to Rustin at Boomslang Fabrication www.boomslang.us

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  2. nightryder99

nightryder99 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

im guessing this ain't to dif for the OBD2B ECU
    awesome lil harness converter...looks like good quality...I definetly gonna get one of those

3. j_fukin_t

j_fukin_t New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

:werd: so i'm also guessing there is a seperate harness for the obd2b right, and will i need ANYTHING additional i.e. o2 sensors or any diff sensors for that matter or does it all get taken care of in the harness that you purchase??

4. $lick Rick

$lick Rick TEOTWAWKI Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

the company lists an odb2b to odb0 conversion harness

but i dont see one for odb2b to odb1

5. nightryder99

nightryder99 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

what are you talking about????
    right here
    http://www.boomslang.us/obd2to1.htm

6. $lick Rick

$lick Rick TEOTWAWKI Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

7. saga boy

saga boy New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

ok so do this pass emissions? i have asked around if a JDM H, B, or D engine thats obd1 is swaped into an obd2 car event with the jumper harness it may not pass emissions. Someone please let me know before i buy an engine!

8. Shiznit

Shiznit Stickin it to the Man Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

it wont pass emissions converting obd2 to obd1. youll have to run an obd2 ecu when going for the test

9. 99SilverCX

99SilverCX New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

For the B16A motor swap into 96-00 Civics, you can use the Y7 or Y8 engine harnesses off you stock engines. If you use Y7, you will just have to wire up the VTEC stuff. I used Y8 harness in my CX and used a BOOMSLANG harness. Made the swap 1000 times easier. I didn't have to mess with any of the wires related to the ECU, except the Alternator, I had to use the OBD1 plug on the OBD2B harness. Oh, and I had to use OBD1 Fuel Injector plugs. But you can buy the adaptors from PasswordJDM now. And I had to wire the Dizzy to work with my OBD2 harness, but PasswordJDM sells an adapter for that too now.

So when going from OBD2 to OBD1 motor,
    you'll need these to make the swap easier:
    1. http://www.boomslang.us/obd2to1.htm
    OR
    http://www.boomslang.us/vafc2.htm if you're going with VAFC2.
    2. http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-Distributor-Jumper-Harness-P1881C320.aspx
    3. http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-Upgrade-Injector-Jumpers-P1882C320.aspx (maybe)

10. Hallmon99

Hallmon99 New Member 5+ Year Member

So this harness converter wouldnt work for a 99 civic???

11. Jay Jay

Jay Jay Administrator Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG Premium 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

If you are converting to OBD1 you would need a OBD2B -> OBD1 harness. 96-98 civics are OBD2A, 99-00 civics are OBD2B.

: official diy