JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
DIY: Wire 99-00 OEM Fog Lights /w Parking Lights

This DIY will show you how to wire your 1999-2000 Genuine Honda OEM Fog Lights to turn on with parking lights as well as stay on with low/high beams. The fog lights should also blink with the flashers when arming/disarming your alarm (as long as the switch is on).

Applicable Years: 99-00 Coupe, Sedan, Hatchback equipped with Genuine Honda OEM fog lights.

Difficulty: 1 out of 5

Estimated Time: Less than 30 minutes

Required Parts: This can be done with the fog lights installed or not installed since you're messing with wires that already exist on the car either way.

Required Tools:
- Small jewelers flathead screwdriver
- Regular screwdriver to remove underdash plastic pieces
- 10A mini fuse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional notes before we begin:
- The previous How-To recommended to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery since you'll be dealing with electrical stuff. However, I didn't and did NOT run into any problems.
- Please keep in mind you CAN do this before actually installing the fog lights. But in order to ensure you did it properly, they obviously must be installed. This How-To was written with the fog lights already installed!!!
- I do NOT take any responsibility for mistakes or problems you run into after completing this How-To! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask and I (or anyone else) shall do my/their best to help out.
- Please please PLEASE read the additional/comments at the bottom after all the steps!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step #1:
Remove the plastic underdash piece underneath the steering wheel as well as the steering wheel column cover. Keep in mind that you will have to tug a bit to remove the underdash piece and to be careful when remove the steering wheel column cover. The clips tend to break very easily. Now in order to remove the 2 plastic pieces, you will need to remove the screws circled in red in the picture below:

Step #2:
With the 2 plastic pieces off, remove the 2 white plugs circled in red in the picture below (there are little tabs you have to push in, in order to pull them out):

Step #3:
Unwrap the black tape around the wires between the 2 plugs.

Step #4:
Now use the small flathead jewelers screwdriver and carefully unclip both ends of the red and white wire from each plug (it is also the only wire holding the 2 plugs to the rest of the harness). You should have the following when you are finished:

Step #5:
Again, using the small flathead jewelers screwdriver, carefully unclip both ends of the red and green wire from each plug. I am holding the wire with my thumb and pointer finger in the following picture:

Step #6:
Then continue to take the red and green wire you just removed and put it in the slots where the red and white wire originally were.

Step #7:
Then take the red and white wire you removed in the beginning and put them into the slots where the red and green wire were.

-----
Stop and take a moment to think:
Basically, you are swapping the red and white wire with the red and green wire.
-----

Step #8
Now go to your underdash fuse box and look for the taillight fuse. It should be a 7.5A fuse. Replace that with a 10A fuse.

Step #9:
Plug the white plugs back into the steering wheel column and give it a test. The fog lights should now work with parking lights as well with low beams and even high beams!

Step #10:
If all is well, reassemble the underdash pieces and enjoy :cool:.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Notes/Comments:
- BEWARE! In my research previous to doing this How-To, some people have found that when arming/disarming their alarm with the fog light switch on, they have blown their instrument/cluster fuse. I previously noted before I began this How-To that when arming/disarming your alarm with the fog light switch on, the fog lights WILL blink as well when the corner lights blink.

Attachments

Last edited:

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how does just swapping the wires makes this work....youre just swapping a wire..its not like your redirecting any connections....the color of the wire is just that a color to identify it but when swapped i would think everything would remain the same since youre essentially replacing one piece of wire with another piece of wire.....weird. i would do it but i dont want to blow anything.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah it sounds weird but it works lol. High beams + fog lights = FTMFW. I know generally you don't need fog lights with high beams but wow, they make a big difference. Especially since I have Osram Super H3's in my fogs. I can almost drive without my headlights on lol.

But yeah I've left the fog light switch on and have armed/disarmed my alarm like over 30 times since I've done this How-To yesterday. Haven't blown anything yet. Everything is 100% fine.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice man, I might have to try this one day. Ive always wanted to do it.

Flip8Speed

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yo, thanks 4 tha idea... Ima do that s**t 2morrow. Good looks... i'll let you all know if it worked out...

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Astheros said:
how does just swapping the wires makes this work....youre just swapping a wire..its not like your redirecting any connections....the color of the wire is just that a color to identify it but when swapped i would think everything would remain the same since youre essentially replacing one piece of wire with another piece of wire.....weird. i would do it but i dont want to blow anything.
the wires that you swap are coming from different places.

the RED/WHITE wire is coming from the harness, say its going to spot A. and the RED/GREEN wire is a jumper between the two plugs, say its going to spot B.

what you are doing is switching the place where they connecto to the plugs, like so... [MS Paint FTW!]

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i still dont get it but ill try it some other time.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I can take some pictures with my P&S 5.0MP camera later if you'd like.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the feedback and great that it went well :thumbs up.

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice, i'll go do that some time when i have my ECU back in the car

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'll go take a video now

edit - Took the video. I'll edit into the first post.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Video uploaded. Edited into the bottom of the first post.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn, is that you in the video?

You need to eat some hamburgers or something, you look like a thin-mint :rolf:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:rolf: I eat meat like no other. More than 4 days out of the week. Like actual meat for meals and such. I pig out when I eat. I just don't gain a single pound :(.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:rolf: I eat meat like no other. More than 4 days out of the week. Like actual meat for meals and such. I pig out when I eat. I just don't gain a single pound :(.
haha sounds like me, metabolism like a fuking horse :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.