oil drain plug question

x23Curtis23x

5+ Year Member
Okay apparently it didn't post but I did an oil change today and the oil drain bolt wouldn't tighten is if it was stripped somewhere I took the washer off the bolt and got it to hand tighten as snug as possible.....ishould I be worried ill lose it and all my oil and damage the motor, just need a temp fix to last a few months doing a swap once winter comes and goes....ne help would be appreciated thanks

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its just hand tightened I would drive on it. I'd fix it now before you drive on it more and the bolt comes out and drains the motor

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay apparently it didn't post but I did an oil change today and the oil drain bolt wouldn't tighten is if it was stripped somewhere I took the washer off the bolt and got it to hand tighten as snug as possible.....ishould I be worried ill lose it and all my oil and damage the motor, just need a temp fix to last a few months doing a swap once winter comes and goes....ne help would be appreciated thanks
tap it for a bigger sized drain pan bolt.. then dont over tighten it when you change your oil next time :-)

stateofjustin

Agreed, inspect the drain plug threads for damage... if they are damaged you may be able to just re-tap the oil pan with the same size and replace the plug. If the plug looks alright, you should probably re-tap a small step up and change drain plugs.

After re-tapping, pour some oil in with the plug out to wash any metal particles out you created inside the pan. 15-20 foot pounds of torque should be more than enough tightening. Also, good idea to change your drain plug washer every time, the slight compression of it buys you a bit more sealing insurance.