oil filter and oil preferences for b16 high mileage car

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i got a 00 si and the motor is all stock, Im going to start doing my own oil changes on it instead of taking it to the shop so what would u guys recommend for the oil and filter. I have 166k miles and just got my skunk2 magnetic drain plug in so i wana do the oil change.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It all depends on preference. I use a Fram oil filter with 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic. It does the job just fine.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Fram PH3593A is what I use on my turbo JDM B16A motor.

No need for full synthetic though.

techavluis

Registered VIP
d16y8 turbo 15psi 290whp using Mobil 1 racing oil (15w-50) and Mobil 1 filter. over 15k miles on it now. changing oil every 2k-2.5k miles.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As stated its all preference, idk why but I have always liked castrol gtx or there full synthetic. On my old Nissan 300zx with 230xxx I used high mileage castrol but on my Honda I use the fram ph3593a with full synthetic castrol edge and changed it every 4000 miles but now that my d16y5 is turbo I will be changing every 3000-3500

ne0tas

Look up on youtube: fram filters. They suck. I always get the oem honda oil filter since its the best quality over any aftermarket filters.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Look up on youtube: fram filters. They suck. I always get the oem honda oil filter since its the best quality over any aftermarket filters.
Ummmm......

Unless you are getting the Japanese filters, Honda of America gets their oil filters made by Fram. They used to be made by Wix, but were bought out in 2005.

There are a bunch of filters better then OEM honda filters. Wix, Mobil 1, Baldwin, and Bosch to name a few.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like it's been said before, it's all about personal preference. What matters more is that you change the oil and oil filter at a regular interval. Don't put it off.

However... Synthetic does make a difference IMO. I've seen the inside of my motor and after 200k+ of mobil 1, it's hardly stained and the color looks much lighter than motors that have seen conventional motor oil.

pinnacle-r

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Synthetic does do what they say it does, you just have to be consistent with it. You should be fine with 5w-30 or 10w-30

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I use mobil 1 full synthetic with a k& n filter and it's imo much much better than anyother filter ive used

Sent from my civic using a stock engine