oil in coolant reservoir

CivicCenter

I have a 94 Honda Civic EX 1.6 D16Z6 w/ manual tranny. Recently I noticed that I have been losing oil ( About 1 /3 Quart for 500 miles ). My cooling system, reservoir tank and radiator cap have oil sludge in it. The car still has plenty of power and is extremely reliable. Plugs look good and no white smoke. When running the car I don't really see any bubbles in my cooling system while looking down in my radiator. Compression looks good, 150 for all cylinders and leak down test looks bad. I pulled the head and the steel gasket looks OK ( I have no idea what to look for other than breakage or tears ). I don't see any cracks in the cylinders. There is a couple of .235mm low spots on the deck and head. A .235 feeler gauge will slightly get stuck in certain spots. Is this within tolerance?
Can I get away with installing a felpro gasket and re assembling? Or are my tolerances way too high?
Any other ideas?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your head gasket is leaking oil into the coolant channels. it may look ok, but those high/low spots are allowing the oil through.

Pull the head, get a new head gasket and use a thin layer of RVT grey around the primary contact points on the gasket.

cetcivic

The head may be warped. Have a machine shop check it. If it is ,they'll have to mill it. Best of luck to you.