Oil leak..vtec solenoid gasket?

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
I have an oil leak somewhere above the transmission, and i have a big hunch its from the vtec solenoid. I was wondering:
1. should oil be leaking from the solenoid even if i havent been in vtec range?
2 to replace the gasket, its as easy as unbolting the solenoid slapping on a new gasket, and bolting it back, right?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1) Yes, oil can still get upto the Vtec solenoid even tho you dont hit Vtec.

2)Yes. Unbolt the solenoid, take out the old gasket, put the new one in, clean off the surfaces of both the head and solenoid where they meet, and bolt back in.

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
1) Yes, oil can still get upto the Vtec solenoid even tho you dont hit Vtec.

2)Yes. Unbolt the solenoid, take out the old gasket, put the new one in, clean off the surfaces of both the head and solenoid where they meet, and bolt back in.
thanks man :thumbs up

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check right under the distributor for a leak as well, it's pretty common and easy to overlook.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i am losing oil too but i have no idea where. i need to check the usual leak spots but its too cold it was in the single digits this morning and the high is only 15. no heated garage FTL

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
i am losing oil too but i have no idea where. i need to check the usual leak spots but its too cold it was in the single digits this morning and the high is only 15. no heated garage FTL
wow, that sucks, lol. good luck

Check right under the distributor for a leak as well, it's pretty common and easy to overlook.
anywhere in particular i should be looking under the distributor?

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
right under it where in meets the head
thanks. I checked but didn't see anything leaking from that area(noticeably at least)

whenever i start my car and take a look under the hood, I can see a steady slow stream of oil coming from directly under the solenoid. Will a solenoid gasket correct this problem totally, or do i need something to seal where the head and solenoid meeit?(read somewhere on the internet that I am to use "Hondabond?" to ensure it seals

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh I didnt know you were able to see a stream of oil. Hondabond is good s**t but regulan rtv will work too, just make sure you dont put too much on cause it will get inside the solenoid filter screen when you tighten the bolts down.

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
Oh I didnt know you were able to see a stream of oil. Hondabond is good s**t but regulan rtv will work too, just make sure you dont put too much on cause it will get inside the solenoid filter screen when you tighten the bolts down.
*cough:oops:
regulan rtv? where do i get that at, lol

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
*cough:oops:
regulan rtv? where do i get that at, lol
Any parts store. ask them where the rtv gasket maker is. Theres a few diff ones to choose from once you find them. I use either black or gray because blue tends to be an eye sore if you use too much.

aztecracer

Proud owner of an EJ8
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you might want to check your cam seal if its stock because unless you actually see a leak directly from your solenoid, your problem might be your cam seal that its worn out it's very common for DOHC honda engines to leak from the front cam seal because it's nothing but a rubber and since you engine warms and cools after time it tends to ware out and that causes leak making that area on your tranny oily. so you might want to take a look at that.

mljwire

5+ Year Member
Hi,
I seen your old post on the oil leak under the vtech valve, I have the same problem. I have replace the distributor o-ring and internal seal, the vtech gasket and the head gasket trying to fix this leak with no results. It only leaks some times, like when the engine is cold. I have looked with a mirror and cannot catch it leaking; I have tried revving the engine but no luck so far. Could the vtech still be leaking after changing the gasket?
Thanks Les