Oil temp d16y8

Teri

Respected
Hi ! Could someone please tell me what is the proper oil temperature for a D16y8 Sohc vtec?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A brief search lasting less than 5 minutes showed (approximately) that 170-185 seems to be a healthy oil operating temp., 220-ish is high, and 300-ish is near engine failure.

Teri

Respected
I also need to know the temp for transmission fluid? Have a automatic transmission and got a gauge to keep track of the temp.

Teri

Respected
No it isn't. Oil temp takes longer to reach it's proper temperature then the coolant . If oil is not at right temp vtec will not engage . Plus I plan on boosting the car.

Teri

Respected
Have gauges and I know where I can get one that will work but costly. I'm talking about transmission. I'm not turbocharged. Supercharged is the way to go. Nothing is impossible. All it takes is a lot of money and good mechanic.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If oil is not at right temp vtec will not engage .
This is not correct. It's based on oil pressure, not oil temperature. Coolant temp is also a factor, though.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hope you plan to tune the ECU and change the tranny fluid more often than usual because supercharging an automatic Civic will wreak havoc on the fuel efficiently tuned (and designed) automatic. In my opinion, the cost and performance results are by far not at all worth the cost and effort on an automatic Civic.

...I also need to know the temp for transmission fluid...
Try searching for it like I did for the oil temp. It'll take about as much time as it did for you to ask for it.

Teri

Respected
Definitely will tune the ECU . I'm not going to boost this car until the motor has over 200000 . Then it will be rebuild. There is only 111436 on this motor. If I tune this motor with out boosting it how much horse power can I get out of a stock D16y8 ? Do all honda automatic transmissions have two electronic sensors or is it just in the EX civic coupe?

Teri

Respected
Then I have a OBD2 , is that because the EX civic coupe is a performance car , some what like the EM1.

Teri

Respected
Yes I know the EM1 comes with a manual transmission. I was talking about the motor and I do have a 2000 Ej8 , which here in the USA they call it a Ex.

Teri

Respected
Don't have A/C . Need compressor. The bearings are bad and it was louder then my motor and I had catback exhaust and it was louder then that so we cut the belt .