One bad cylinder, should I disable fuel injector??

Norm321

5+ Year Member
Hello, have a 1995 Honda Civic with one bad cylinder. It has a burnt or stuck valve and low compression on cylinder #3. It still runs and I need to drive it for a while yet until I can get another vehicle. All in all it runs pretty good. My question is should I disable(unplug)the fuel injector to the bad cylinder. Is the fuel being burnt or is it just going into the crankcase? Thanks!!

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
By driving with a burnt valve, you're just damaging the engine even more (especially if the valve is stuck open). I highly doubt that your 4 cylinder is running 'all in all good" on 3 cylinders. I've had plug wires and even a spark plug go out on my while driving, and the damn thing sounded like a Subaru. By driving with only 3 cylinders, you'll get horrible gas mileage, and you'll have even less power.

Norm321

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the reply.

At this point I have really not a whole lot to lose since the civic is a 95 with 174800 miles on it and basically worth the scrap price of maybe $400-$500. I have been driving it back and forth to work and actually it does run pretty good and just idles rough at stop streets.

I just want to avoid getting unburnt fuel in the crankcase and really have no way of knowing if the fuel is igniting or not. The compression check on the bad cylinder(# 3)was only 30 lbs. The car has had a oil consumption issue ever since I bought it(had 156000 mi then)so there has been something going on for a long time.

So I am debating whether to unplug the injector or leave it the way it is.

Thanks!!

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Even if you unplug the injector, you're still going to have spark. And spark with little or no fuel is going to be pretty harmful.

That's not a good idea. At all. Just run with it for fix the problem.

Norm321

5+ Year Member
Have just been driving it. Really don't want to put any money into it and putting on a new head is beyond my capabilities. It does seem to run ok and just keeps going. No gas in the oil and losing some fuel at start up through the erxhaust. Just going to drive it until a replacement is purchased.