One the fence about an Si Sedan vs. Focus ST

ApexFTW

Guys, convince me here? I've had a civic ex coupe auto for a little while cause I needed something reliable and efficient. Grew up driving a stick though and I've always loved cars, so I'm looking to indulge a bit and get more of a driver's car. Can't decide tho. love both cars, test drove a focus st recently and it put me in my seat. WOW. That said, I'm a fan of naturally aspirated engines and I want something I can put a little work in myself. Why should I get the Si over the focus st? I know its a bit like comparing apples to oranges, but I don't want the 9th gen, so it's between the 8th gen and a 2013 focus st for me.

Thoughts??

Thanks guys, and I'm new here so please go easy!

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Those new focuses are pretty badass..

Id wait an check out the focus RS before maki g a decision.

Since honda fuct everyone in the US over by not releasing the CTR, Focus RS (or is it RT?) Is the closest thing to a hot sports car

ApexFTW

Those new focuses are pretty badass..

Id wait an check out the focus RS before maki g a decision.

Since honda fuct everyone in the US over by not releasing the CTR, Focus RS (or is it RT?) Is the closest thing to a hot sports car
Thanks for the reply man, hoping I'd get one sooner rather than later. No doubt, the focuses are pretty sick, but to be honest the new RS would be out of my price range (expected to be around 33-36k last i checked) and on top of that I'm sure the engine in that car is going to be strung out to the max so doing any work myself would be a no no. My budget is in the 18-22k range. Knowing that, any advice?

ApexFTW

Really don't like the ms3 interior and everyone I know with a volkswagen swears that they are the most unreliable cars in the world. When they're good they're good, but I hear they break down a ton. Really limits my options :/

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well buddy, the overweight Si is sporty, but if quickness is what your looking for, I say to test drive them both and see what fits yuo

ApexFTW

That's the thing, I have driven them both and I'm on the fence. I like the raw power of the ST but I don't think driving fun is all about power. I love the chassis on the honda but I'm giving up about 50 bhp. That's why I'm asking for other opinions. Bump?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My buddy purchased an ST recently and got to take some trip out west to take an ST autocross challenge. He placed second.

Personally, I like the exterior look better of an Si. I like the ST interior. I admit, I have not driven either, so I can't compare how they handle, etc.

ApexFTW

My buddy purchased an ST recently and got to take some trip out west to take an ST autocross challenge. He placed second.

Personally, I like the exterior look better of an Si. I like the ST interior. I admit, I have not driven either, so I can't compare how they handle, etc.
Yeah that's the other thing, I really dig hatches. I guess it's a matter of preference. If the civic si hatch or type r hatch were available in the US it would be no contest. But the ST's interior does feel more upscale to me. I've just never really had experience modding anything and I feel like a honda would give me alot more flexibility/reliability than the ST no?

House Special

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Personally, I would pick the Civic. If what they're saying is true about MS3 breaking down, you're going to walk right into it with the Focus. I have driven both, and the only thing I can really say different about the power delivery is the ST gives it to you all at once, while the Civic is more linear than what they have traditionally been.

Waiting for the RS could be an option, but I fear the price tag will be a lot more than what you're looking for.

ApexFTW

Yeah I definitely got the same impression regarding power delivery...bit of a turbo lag in the ST. Negligible but there. RS price tag is DEF way outta my range.

I wouldn't want to boost the civic, but I'd like to do some bolt ons to get the hp up. These videos I've been watching on youtube, this guy has a 2014 si, full bolt ons and he's getting 37 mpg. If that's possible, I think it's a no brainer. You think its forreal?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Weird, I've never had lag in any turbo car I've owned. This spanning from an '86 Daytona to my 05 Legacy.