Overfilled engine oil. leaking like faucet now

alvin k

Hi,
1998 Honda Civic DX

Rookie mistake... I believe I overfilled engine oil and when I started the engine, it burst instantly and made nice puddle and trail on the driveway. I drove it about 3 miles across town yesterday after the burst (garage at another location) Today I drove about the the same. Got the oil light, added some oil to get back to the garage. I would hear a hissing sound during idle. Now when I start the car, it leaks like a faucet...What is blown??

I didnt add too much more, maybe 1 quart. What changed this oil change was I bought Valvoline 10w-40 in 1.25gal and the FRAM High Mileage filter, both of which I've never used. I usually use Rotella 15w-40 1 gal and regular FRAM.

Thanks

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Well for starters recommended oil for an EK is 5w-30. I've used 10w-40 myself but only to add when the oil is low, I've never done it for a full oil change. As for your question I'm not quite sure, other more experienced members will soon comment hopefully.

dancam

Registered VIP
Why the 15w40? Unless you swapped in a cummins thats bad for your engine. Did you double gasket the oil filter? Are you smoking black/blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Double gasket on the oil filter would be my first guess. Thats why its really important to coat the gasket with oil before putting the filter on.

Also most D and B series engines use about 4.2qts of oil on average. It takes well more than 1.25gal (5qts) to fill up these motors.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You changed the oil yet you dont know know how much is in it? Do you know how to pull a dip stick and look at it? How about you get under the car and LOOK. Maybe you didnt tighten the drain bolt or the filter. Looking will tell you so dont be lazy.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You changed the oil yet you dont know know how much is in it? Do you.know how to pull a dip stick and look at it? How about you get under the car and LOOK. Maybe you didnt tighten the drain bolt or the filter. Looking will tell you so dont be lazy.
Calm down chief he admitted rookie mistake.. ya live ya learn. ;)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Calm down chief he admitted rookie mistake.. ya live ya learn. ;)
Im not blaming the rookie mistake. It happens, but how can he not at least check his fluid level?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Im not blaming the rookie mistake. It happens, but how can he not at least check his fluid level?
True, but, I don't think I checked mine when I did my first oil change myself.. :lol:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How dare you! Ha!

alvin k

Hex, you got me =) I was being lazy. When I saw the huge leak, I was sure it had to be something bad so I got lazy. After I posted, I snapped out of laziness, raised the front, stuck my head further and saw the old filter gasket still there. Phew!

I checked the fluid, it was fine. I suspected to be overfilled because I usually buy 1 gallon and pour until I have a little left over. . Did the same with the 1.25gal so I really didn’t add too much. I tend to exaggerate a little when writing about car issues.

4.2qts would be a complete engine overhaul. I was going for the 3.8qts with oil filter

Dancam, can you explain how 15w40 it is bad for the engine? I run Rotella T 15w40 in all my engines; Ranger, Civic, CBR f4i, 400ex, dr350 and KTM 250exc 2 stroke gear lube. Clutch work perfectly and upped the pressure a little for my ol’ CJ7. The Civic has RMS leak that was significantly reduced in the winter (only had this car since July 2015) so I am using the old thicker oil to slow the leak trick year round. I haven’t had to add since cold weather hit.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Hex, you got me =) I was being lazy. When I saw the huge leak, I was sure it had to be something bad so I got lazy. After I posted, I snapped out of laziness, raised the front, stuck my head further and saw the old filter gasket still there. Phew!

I checked the fluid, it was fine. I suspected to be overfilled because I usually buy 1 gallon and pour until I have a little left over. . Did the same with the 1.25gal so I really didn’t add too much. I tend to exaggerate a little when writing about car issues.

4.2qts would be a complete engine overhaul. I was going for the 3.8qts with oil filter

Dancam, can you explain how 15w40 it is bad for the engine? I run Rotella T 15w40 in all my engines; Ranger, Civic, CBR f4i, 400ex, dr350 and KTM 250exc 2 stroke gear lube. Clutch work perfectly and upped the pressure a little for my ol’ CJ7. The Civic has RMS leak that was significantly reduced in the winter (only had this car since July 2015) so I am using the old thicker oil to slow the leak trick year round. I haven’t had to add since cold weather hit.
I'm sure someone in this forum has studied more Fluid Dynamics than I have, but Engineers design engines to use specific a specific oil thickness for numerous reasons. The viscosity is very important when it comes to warming up the engine (specially on start up), and making sure that all of the places that there is supposed to be oil, have oil. Thicker oil will usually make your car burn less, leak less, and sometimes even take away small knocking noises away if your engine is that worn out. Thicker oil usually makes your car run a bit hotter, and take longer to warm up.
Can anyone else provide better examples and facts who has studied Fluid Dynamics at some point?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm sure someone in this forum has studied more Fluid Dynamics than I have, but Engineers design engines to use specific a specific oil thickness for numerous reasons. The viscosity is very important when it comes to warming up the engine (specially on start up), and making sure that all of the places that there is supposed to be oil, have oil. Thicker oil will usually make your car burn less, leak less, and sometimes even take away small knocking noises away if your engine is that worn out. Thicker oil usually makes your car run a bit hotter, and take longer to warm up.
Can anyone else provide better examples and facts who has studied Fluid Dynamics at some point?
thicker oil puts a lot of stress on the oil pump cause now it has to work harder to flow those thick oil like it did with thinner oil. also in come cases it could increase oil pressure but to high would just end up destroying your oil pump.

dancam

Registered VIP

well there is a lot of info about why its worse, i cant type it all so i will provide some links and some basic info. I presumed you have a stock motor, if you build a motor, or change certain components then different viscosities can be appropriate. a decent read for starters is here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
make sure to read all of it, its a couple pages, not just the first page i linked.
in an engine with no mechanical problems running the way it was intended the vast majority or even 99% of all the wear occurs at startup. thicker oil takes way longer to flow freely to and through the bearings. just because you have 100psi with thicker oil doesnt mean you have any flow through your bearings or through that oil control orface going to the head. your pressure gauge outlet is in the piping before the bearings and before the oil control orface. all the oil going to the valvetrain has to go through a small oil control hole first, it fills slow with thick oil in the cold. you could in theory have zero oil going to the head and zero oil making it through the bearings and still have 100psi. the valvetrain needs some pressure, the mains and big ends can draw in sufficient oil from 20 psi on a diesel engine to maintain the hydrodynamic wedge at its redline of 3600rpm under high load. (i lost the link to that study) but the piston cooling jets or however the wrist pin and rings get lubricated needs a bit more pressure, as does the valvetrain. but, going through those thin passages to the wrist pin, pcj's or hla's thick oil reduces flow and reduces lubrication when cold. Thick, cold oil cannot fill the hydrodynamic wedge fast enough at high rpm's, doesnt matter that you have 100psi, it still isnt flowing as well as thinner oil at 40psi.
If your using thick oil to stop a seal from leaking your creating a problem by not fixing another.
thicker oil increases pumping losses, piston and bearing drag, heats up more going through the bearings because it has to be sheared more to fit, reduced flow reduces the cooling the oil does...

here is a copy paste bit from some other places:

The only reason 10w30 used to be recommended is 5w30 would shear twice as fast as 10w30, but its not so much of an issue anymore. I buy the cheapest oil i can find so i still do 10 in the summer since its probably the worst oil you can get.
There are good reasons to use heavier oil. They are if you are running the oil a lot hotter than it was intended (because it ends up being the same viscosity), if you have increased the horsepower very very significantly (like triple or more) then you want a higher hths viscosity but a diesel 30weight will also give you that, and if your engine is very very worn. As in you have almost no compression and your bearings are almost completely gone, not just high mileage.

In a normal engine heavier oil does accelerate the wear, but it doesnt make it explode immediately so people think its fine. The rings and bearings may have lasted 800,000km on proper oil but only 600,000 on heavier oil. Old Cars can run on almost anything and survive for a while. You can run your car out of oil for a short time and itl still run afterwards. I know a guy who runs 20w50 in all his farm equipment, his f-150 and his impala. They still run, just not well. An old diesel pickup could still run on 0w20 if you didn't put much load on it or work it, it just wouldn't be good for it.

For Ford back recommending the oil they probably did it to engines they had built and left the mazda's alone. in the winter I put 5W20 in my 25yr old car with 400k that calls for 5w30 and i think the 5w20 gets pumped to the hla's faster and they pressurize quicker than with a 30 weight. it seems way more responsive and runs better when cold.

Basically pressure does not lubricate, flow does. Pressure is the resistance to flow. You need enough film thickness to keep the hydrodynamic wedge in the bearings, but you need enough flow to get the oil in there at high rpm. If the thick oil isnt flowing well enough it wont fill the wedge and wont make it up to the piston walls very well even though you have 90psi. If the oil is too thin it will squirt out the sides of the bearings before the revolution is complete and your hydrodynamic wedge will fail and you will enter mixed or barrier lubrication. Same with not getting enough thick oil in there, you enter barrier or mixed lubrication. On startup you always have both of those especially with thick oil. Thicker oil stays on parts longer yes, but longer in minutes, not hours or days. When you start your car up again the oil that is left on lasts about 3 revolutions maybe, then you need new oil and thick oil takes way longer to get there.
Under barrier and mixed lubrication the additive package is what is most important, not viscosity. The new 0w16 oil that coming out relies heavily on its additive package to eliminate wear. A straight 40 or 30 weight has very little additive like that. Those oils are meant for stationary engines or equipment that runs 8-24hr shifts and stays at a mostly fixed rpm. Not suitable for cars. Cheap oils dont have as good of an additive package and will have more wear at startup or high rpm/load.

For oil being squished out of the bearings under high load or stress its the hths viscosity thats important. A 30grade can have a better hths viscosity than a 40 grade depending on how its made. Thats why many diesels can take 30weight now. They just make the oil so it doesn't thin out as much under high shear.

Again, the main point is you want high flow, not high pressure to lubricate. An engine like my mazda B3 will run with probably almost anything from vegetable oil, 0w16, 20w50, to hydraulic oil or atf. Just because it runs and doesn't immediately die doesn't mean its optimal though.

Im still a bit in the heavier oil camp because what i have read leads me to believe the 5w20 oils rely a bit much on their additive package to be good for an f-150 or 250 thats used solely for towing or a car that races and overheats its oil. For any car or truck that asks for 5w20 and doesn't do anything extreme that is best though.

Oil also takes 20minutes of freeway driving to reach operating temperature in a stock civic. I have never had my oil reach op temp in town after a cold start and it takes minimum 20 min on the freeway, cools of when you get to a town. So if you rarely drive over 20min on a freeway you can use a lighter oil and it would never thin out more than the original grade was intended to.

dancam

Registered VIP
Pt 2:
This is what I did:

So i decided to try something different this winter for oil in my festiva. Normally I use 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter on my stock 1993 with 440,000km. In the winter engine oil, coolant and grease obviously take longer to heat up and run cooler period. I theorized that the oil takes longer to heat up and doesnt get as hot as in the summer because i do mostly highway driving and we usually are around -15c in the winter average, generally get a least a week straight of -30c and the oil pan is right there in the wind... So in the fall i used a temp gun on the oil pan and concluded that the oil probably runs around 190-212f operating temp. So a 5w30 at 195f is the same viscosity as a 5w20 at 183f. And a 5w30 at 225f is the same viscosity as a 5w20 at 212f. So 5w20 in the winter only needs to be about 13 degrees f cooler than 5w30 in the summer in order to be the same viscosity. So i put 5w20 in my engine to try it. Of course then we have the warmest winter i have ever lived through.... Coldest day was only -20c so far! But anyway, its a bit preliminary since ive only had this oil in for a month, (2500km) but the difference was striking. It sounds strange but it feels like i had more power the day i changed the oil. When i hit the gas the car really wanted to go way more than usual. Seems to rev up quicker and the engine feels smoother and better than before. It sounds nicer when it starts in the cold. This has been my daily driver for Close to 9 years, i have put 220,000km on it myself so i know how it drives and how it feels. I never thought changing an oil viscosity like that would make such a huge difference. The stranger thing though is that i have always had that bad tick from the hla's. Ever since ive had it it would tick bad on startup for about 5-20 seconds one time out of every 3 starts or so. More frequently, louder and longer when cold out. I have tried a ton of different brands of oil-even 10w30HDMO, used oil additives, tried a ton of different filters and the ticking never changed significantly. But since i put the 5w20 in it hasnt ticked once! Thats never happened before, its always been relatively the same. I wasnt really expecting that from a lighter oil but it makes sense- flows quicker and pressurizes up top quicker than a heavier oil at startup. I used to have an oil pressure gauge but i robbed it for another car a few years ago. I bought another one now and i hope to install it soon to see what the pressure difference is with the lighter oil.

i posted this on another thread here:

there are tons of reasons that people blow their engines at the track and im sure you and your builder are aware of the common ones. Did you determine what exactly went wrong? One reason that gets overlooked is cold oil. Flow lubricates, not system pressure, so people go to the track and may have the right viscosity oil in the oil pan but its cold so its actually way too thick. Then they take off on their first run full boost and everything to the max and blow the engine. When the oil is too cold it cannot flow into the bearings and wrist pin fast enough at 7k rpm and you get mixed or boundry lubrication which leads to scuffing which leads to a spun bearing which leads to a broken rod very quickly when your close to the max of what components can handle. Even if you have 90-100 psi of oil at 7000rpm it doesnt mean its actually lubricating. Like a garden hose: if nothing is blocking the end you have low pressure but high flow and things get watered. If you block the end you get high pressure in the line but nothing is coming out and theres no lubrication.

Anyhow, i reccomend installing an oil temperature gauge and making sure the oil is hot before doing a full out run. Oil takes a long time to heat up. On my stock civic oil temp levels out around 215 degrees farenhight. It takes 20 minutes of freeway driving at 3000rpm to get it to just 200f when its +30c ambient. In town it never gets over 170f. Playing with your viscosity helps too. Your engine calls for 5w30. Its a 30 weight at 212f. If you never get to those temps racing and you care enough you could dump the 5w30 when you get to the track and put a 0w20 in. Its actually the same viscosity at 200f that 30weight is at 212. So if you run 0w20 and your racing temps never get over say 180f your oil is still thicker than it was meant to be with 5w30. But i wouldnt freeway drive with it, you would want to dump it out and save it for the next race and put the 30 weight in for the drive home because if you use freeways you will get to operating temperature and it will be too thin.

But if its possible just to make sure you get your normal oil hot enough before a race that works too. What viscosity do you use?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Dont you feel ridiculous now ;-)

Im glad to have contributed to a dose of get-off-ya-@$$ and it paid off.

Damn, thats alot of info by Dancam. Here's my very simplistic example to prove the point. Imagine your engine is like your mouth. The factory recommended oil is jello. Thicker oil would be like filling your mouth with peanut butter. Compare how much more difficult it is to eat one & the other. Thus, excessively thicker oil makes your internal components work harder, and you risk damaging your oil pump if its too thicker.

Stick to whats recommended but as high mileage synthetic and you wont have to worry about it thinning out like standard oil.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I think he wants you to check HIS oil :rolf:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really hope you aren't using that thick diesel car oil in your CBR. You do understand that it has a wet clutch and they specifically state to use oil formulated just for them (HP4)? Trust me, you don't want to be replacing a clutch on that thing.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I really hope you aren't using that thick diesel car oil in your CBR. You do understand that it has a wet clutch and they specifically state to use oil formulated just for them (HP4)? Trust me, you don't want to be replacing a clutch on that thing.
not only that but much thicker oil then needed is not good for oil pumps the added stress combined with daily usage will shorten your oil pump life constantly. much thicker oil also takes a lot more time to get hot enough. i doubt our motors would even get hot enough to get that oil in proper working temp range to achieve the intended oil viscosity than that oil was designed to be in. diesel need thicker oil since they do run a lot hotter then gasoline engines. sometime they will have a glow plugs(not spark plugs) but most other application they use extreme high cylinder pressure to ignition the fuel and at that high if a temp range thinner oil would start breaking down really quick.