Overheating: 99 civic

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oil in a plug cylinder indicates that the cylinder seals need replacement and have nothing to do with the head gasket, which is why I removed "head gasket" from your title. If you inspect your oil and its not frothy then your head gaskets fine.

There are many reasons why you're over-heating but you need to provide more details. I assume you believe you're overheating by your temp. gauge reading high.

1. Is the temp. gauge going all the way high?
2. Are you losing any coolant, thereby needing to refill?
3. Are your fans turning on?
4. Are you sure you have coolant and not just water?
5. When was the last time the thermostat was inspected or replaced?

I suggest you flush the entire system and change the thermostat, then see if the problem is resolved.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It could be the valve cover gasket too... get a valve cover gasket set and it should include the cylinder plug seals as well

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
But would that cause me to overheat?
It would not. But we cant rule out just yet that the overheating and oil in a spark plug hole are related. It could be two separate issues. Please answer HeX's questions as they're important in the troubleshooting process.

Ek_Coupe`

Oil in a plug cylinder indicates that the cylinder seals need replacement and have nothing to do with the head gasket, which is why I removed "head gasket" from your title. If you inspect your oil and its not frothy then your head gaskets fine.

There are many reasons why you're over-heating but you need to provide more details. I assume you believe you're overheating by your temp. gauge reading high.

1. Is the temp. gauge going all the way high?
2. Are you losing any coolant, thereby needing to refill?
3. Are your fans turning on?
4. Are you sure you have coolant and not just water?
5. When was the last time the thermostat was inspected or replaced?

I suggest you flush the entire system and change the thermostat, then see if the problem is resolved.
Yes it's going all the way high after a few minutes, and yes losing alittle coolant, yes fan turns on, yes I'm using coolant and water mixed and I replaced thermostat a day ago it is "brand new"

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do you see oil in the coolant or vice versa?

daperez13

Respected
Where are you loosing coolant from? Can you tell where it's leaking from (radiator, hose(s), water pump)?