Overheating/Coolant Leak Problem

Jokerrk

Hey guys,

I have a major problem with my 2000 honda civic auto non v-tech. I have a coolant leak problem and I have tried many things. I tested my radiator fan, relay switch and everything works fine. I replaced the Thermostats about last week because I thought it wasn't working and after 2 days the coolant leaking problem came back. I also replaced the coolant fan switch as I was recommended to and that didn't solve the problem either. I am not sure what is going on and I am running out of ideas as to what the problem can be. I have to fill up roughly 1/2 L of coolant every week to make sure it doesn't go near the minimum. Do you guys have any ideas as to what can be happening? I also never go over 120km/hour. The temperature gauge also goes high and low and is very unstable.

RonJ

Banned
Have you bled the cooling system?

Where is coolant leaking from? Or is it overflowing from the reservoir?

Is the coolant in the radiator an off color? Are there gas bubbles in the coolant?

CO671

Registered VIP
Could be a blown headgasket and/or waterpump.
Does the coolant even flow through to the second hose?

Jokerrk

Have you bled the cooling system?

Where is coolant leaking from? Or is it overflowing from the reservoir?

Is the coolant in the radiator an off color? Are there gas bubbles in the coolant?
I did a coolant flush last year if that means anything forgot to mention. Also, you can see the liquid around the bottom of the radiator fan but nothing leaking from the pipes. There is no gas bubbles in the coolant and no its not an on/off colour

Jokerrk

Could be a blown headgasket and/or waterpump.
Does the coolant even flow through to the second hose?
Yes it does flow through the second hose which is why I am completely stunned. Is there a way to check if its a blown waterpump?

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like a radiator leak. If so, replace it. But first verify the location of the leak. From an auto parts store, you can rent (free) a kit for pressure testing the cooling system. This should help you pinpoint the leak location.

By the way, flushing and bleeding are different. Flushing removes all the old coolant from the engine. Bleeding removes air trapped in the cooling system.

Jokerrk

Sounds like a radiator leak. If so, replace it. But first verify the location of the leak. From an auto parts store, you can rent (free) a kit for pressure testing the cooling system. This should help you pinpoint the leak location.
I will grab the pressure kit shortly today and see if I can find the location. But mechanics have taken a look at it and couldn't find any cracks of any sort.

Jokerrk

By the way, flushing and bleeding are different. Flushing removes all the old coolant from the engine. Bleeding remove any air trapped in the cooling system.
Than I have only flushed. I have never done a bleed