1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

overheating in traffic. Help please

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by DaLostONE69, Jun 19, 2012.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaLostONE69

DaLostONE69 New Member 5+ Year Member

Driving 99 coupe d16y8

So I recently noticed that after sitting in stop and go traffic my thermostat says I'm running hot almost reaching the top white line but never to it and definitely not in the red. As soon as I start moving again the thermostat drops back down to normal temp. So my question is what's causing it to act like this and what are some possible ways to fix the problem.

2. itsmycookie

itsmycookie #1 asshole Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

you should run your car and see if the fan is turning on or not. sounds like it isn't turning on while you're sitting still

3. Mr.Baker

Mr.Baker Mr. Search Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

For sure it sounds like the coolant fan is not kicking on.
    For the time being, also try running your heat on high if you ever are caught sitting in traffic, that will help a little.

4. The_OfficialDom

The_OfficialDom New Member

i had the same problem. its could be a number of problems such as the thermostat, the fan switch, or the fan itself. try changing out the thermostat first. let the car run with the hood open and see if the fan on the passenger side turns on when it heats up. if it turns on but notice you are still having problems with overheating in traffic, change the fan switch located in the thermostat housing.

5. DaLostONE69

I just got hhome from work and with my engine being at normal operating temperature my fan didn't kick on. So I'm assuming that mean either the switch or relay is bad?

6. itsmycookie

itsmycookie #1 asshole Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

i'd check the fuse to start that's the easiest to fix

7. DaLostONE69

Am I understanding it right the fan should kick on even at normal temp? Or just when it's outside of normal temperature range.

8. lethal6

lethal6 Das Auto! Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

It kicks on when the temp switch tells it to. Generally when the gauge is about halfway.

9. emerican

emerican New Member Registered VIP

^ x2

10. taluzer45

taluzer45 4 Banger Deluxe Registered VIP

The problem you are faceing has happened to me before.. ended up being a fan switch. Here is how to check:

1. Make sure the keys are off

2. Pop the hood and locate the fan switch ( mine is a 7th gen so it is on the front of the motor , as your is on the back by the intake manifold.
    Top View :
    [​IMG]

Side View:
    [​IMG]

3. Remove the fan switch terminal ( Red) By pressing in on the relase tab ( Yellow) and pulling out.
    [​IMG]

4. This is what you have... now take the jumper ( any piece of small wire would do such as speacker wire)
    [​IMG]

And place the wire into the two terminals :
    [​IMG]

to
    [​IMG]

After this you can turn the ignition of the car to ON ( ii) and the fans should start up... If not you should check the fan switch fuse/ relay, if both check out you need to look at the fan it's self.

Assuming the fans start up you will need a new fan switch... since you already know where it is located you need to replace it..

1. make sure the car is cold and has been siting for atleast 2-3 hours.
    2. slowly release pressure out of the system via the radiator cap( otherwise you will pull the switch and coolant will go EVERYWHERE!)
    3. remove the fan switch terminal and use either a 24mm (or equvevilant) deep socket ratchet , or wrench. ( you might want to put something under the thermostat housing to avoid excessive coolant spillage)
    4. replace with a new fan switch
    5. put switch teminal back on.

* NOTE* you will need to bleed the cooling system, so park the car on a inclined driveway ( front up ) ... If no driveway is available you can use ramps. Then open the radiator cap and fill the system up with coolant... loosly place the radiator cap back on and idle the car untill the motor has reached normal operating temp, turn the car off and put more coolant in if needed. Finally place the radiatior cap back on and take the car for a test run just to make sure it doesnt overheat again.

11. Culberson

Culberson condoms prevent minivans

^^^ that was some dang good info,good job!

12. taluzer45

Thanks Man, But if it wasn't for other members on here I would know nothing!

13. DaLostONE69

@taluzer45 did your fan come on when the you car was overheated or not at all?

14. DaLostONE69

Again @taluzer45 thank for the write up it made jumping the fan switch easy to understand. Thanks again

15. taluzer45

No problem! And My fan would kick in but only after the Temp gauge was on bust, and she was severly overheated! ( which I ran a major risk of warping a head!) :D

16. DaLostONE69

Same here I got my new switch ow I just have to put in it and bleed the radiator

17. camilo

camilo New Member

hey i have my fan on all the time but still over heats and i changed the sensor and thermostat i switched it to the sensor car was overheating faster so i switched it back to on all the time fan seem likes is working well
    but in traffic or in a red light car over heats ...the fan never stops i checked.....it over heats but never to the h..but 3/4..
    should i change the fan?

18. camilo

camilo New Member

hey i have my fan on all the time but still over heats and i changed the sensor and thermostat i switched it to the sensor car was overheating faster so i switched it back to on all the time fan seem likes is working well
    but in traffic or in a red light car over heats ...the fan never stops i checked.....it over heats but never to the h..but 3/4..
    should i change the fan?

19. camilo

camilo New Member

should i change the fan?Honda civic lx 2000

20. XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r What Civic? Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

This thread is from 2012. For better response, please create your own thread in the appropriate section. The more detailed the better. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.