P0171 problem: 2006 civic SI

Luis Otero

I have a Honda civic si 2006, the car works good when it is cold but, when the car gets the normal temperature starts to vibrate like it shuts down. Check engine light its on, the code its P0171. Can you help me?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Likely an o2 sensor issue. I had as similar issue with my car minus the check engine light being on.

O2 sensor is not working right or is screwing up signal to the ECU. It's detecting a lean A/F ratio, which is not good for the motor. Basically it thinks it's getting too much air and not enough fuel.

When the car is cold, it runs open-loop, meaning that the A/F ratio is based off the ECU alone -- no o2 sensor feedback. Once the car warms up, it switches to closed-loop and starts adjusting A/F ratio based on the input from the o2 sensors.

A bad sensor could surely describe the issue you're seeing. I cannot remember which o2 sensor was the issue for me though. But you might want to look into them.

Luis Otero

I change the Fuel to Premium and the Check engine light turn off, the car still vibrating when its hot and park. I didn't check the O2 Sensor but Im still working on it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You should be running 91 Octane or higher anyways. Using anything less is not good for the engine.