P06 In a D16z6.

DaOne

hey guys so i have a d16z6 in my del sol, but i still got the P06 from the d15b7 ECU.
And i need to know if that will make me fail smog check? there's no CEL or anything.
I dont wanna go and just fail the test.. lol :???:

Thanks!

RHD_Joe

It should not fail the smog test if anything it should help it. It would run a little leaner.

95civexcoupe

95excoupe
5+ Year Member
dude.. you need to swap the ecm when you swap the motor. the d16z6 runs the p28 not the p06... that would be a key factor on why you failed the smog test. get the right ecm and DO IT RIGHT.

single cam supporter!

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
He didnt say he failed it. I wanna know if anyone can chime in on if this is a problem.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Isn't the D15B7 non VTEC and the D16Z6 is? You running a switch for the VTEC?

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
I would thin you could run the vtec controller in place of the non vtec ecu??? sounds like it could work possibly thats how it was done?

DaOne

Not sure if it would pass smog with a P06 or not.
I got lucky and found a P28 on craiglist before i was due for a smog check, so i threw that on and got tested.

I dont think a VTEC controler would make vtec work, without the vtec ecu.
Because neither the ecu nor controller will have the "fuel maps"(?) and stuff needed for vtec to work.
I believe a Vtec controller just tricks the ECU to think that the "conditions" are correct for vtec to kick in and therefore the ecu switches to "vtec mode" (LOL). And with the controller you can chooose when to trick the ECU that those conditions are right depending on your chosen RPMs...

At least thats my understanding on it.
i could be COMPLETELY wrong on everything i just said tho... so idk. lol

HA Motorsports

The P06 will actually help slightly for HC emissions on a D16Z6, however you may see N0x emissions increase due to the higher combustion temps with less fuel.

As for the VTEC controller discussion.... They are a waste of money, time, and headaches. Technology has advanced way past the need for these anymore. (and yes, they will "work" with a non-VTEC ecu)