Paint Faqs

civic0918

Registered VIP
Wow you are the best painter i ever seen.. I wish you lived near me .. Good work nice write up I'll be using this soon. Im pretty sure ill still efff something up.

civic0918

Registered VIP
Man after reading all this great info i am becoming addicted to painting things. Ill never try and to the whole car but i look for lil scuffs tape em off sand primer and paint i love it. And now that i found out napa can not only mix paint to match but also pump it in a spray can for you it saves alot of money. Painting is so much fun and a great thing to try. Who knows you just may be a natrual.

KeeleDesign

5+ Year Member
thanx for the props.

I need to add some more things, and update photos, i just haven't had much time to get on here.

arrigo

just wonderin how u did the blue tank kinda looks like frost/marble any tips on that thanks

KeeleDesign

5+ Year Member
hey guys,

I just noticed this thread had gotten stickied, thats verry cool, I hope more than anything, this will help clear up alot of false information that floats around in all these car forums.

As for the marble effect, I can't give all my secrets away, but i used a black basecoat with 4 different pearls used individually, using the saran wrap technique, although i don't use the conventional method in the technique, as u may have noticed... I opened my mind and did my own which i cannot just tell you, just be creative.

I need to re-go over all this and update it, I have just been so buisy i haven't the time, but again thats kewl you guys felt it sould be a sticky.

KeeleDesign

5+ Year Member
viper blue,
i'm thinking the code is pr4, they only ever used it on the viper and thats it! the closest color to a candy effect you'll ever get.

KeeleDesign

5+ Year Member
I've spent the last 2 years when i have time from collission work to do this camaro for a friend, still am not completely finished but close.
all the body work and new panels like the door skin on the passenger side and the rockers etc... all of it i have done.
I primed the car and blocked it completely down with 180 grit, fixed any waves or dings i may have missed. I primed it again 2 caots, blocked it with 180 grit again untill i had metal and body filler showing pretty much all over, telling me if it was straight or not. I primed it a 3rd time with slightly overreduced primer 3coats and laid it out slick a clearcoat, this time i guide coated it and wetsanded it with 320 on a hard block, and went back with 500 grit wet on a soft block, as i did not want to seal the car, because sealer will add un wanted orange peal. and this had enough milage of primer on it making it un-nessicary.
this is a true 3 stage paint. I laid my Black base, then red diamond pearl in a clear basecoat binder. If you ever paint you'll know just how hard it is to lay any paerl over black in a 3 step process without turning it the color pearl you chose.
He wanted the car to stay black untill street lights or the sun hit it, so this is what i came up with he loves it so do I. (give me your imput.) ohh in these photos i hadn't color sanded and buffed the car yet. i used ppg's new shopline high solid clear on this just to give it a shot, i also used the slowest hardener they had as i sprayed it in the summer. verry touchy stuff but i love how it really sucks into the car, lays out nice. ....although now it is and for the most part re-essembled and buffed.

my masking job in the garmat downdraft booth, I have already cut in all the jams as spraying this is actually harder than doing some of my candy jobs, because if you don't put enough pearl, it will be blotchy, if i put to much it will turn completely red..

these are after the black base is laid.

meeeeeee verry tired..... shoulder hurts.

First coat of claer has been laid

this fender gab was horrible because the new skin wasn't long enough,, so i had to weld 2 inches onto the fender and straighten it out to make the gap look this good.

the beutiful car outside.

be sure and notice how nice the lines are. these cars did not come from the factory looking this good, and it takes alot of work to do so.

awsome shot!

now making all the other pieces match... theirs alot...

KeeleDesign

5+ Year Member
i may be wrong on the spelling but from what i know, if you want a job just about anywhere and have great respect from your peers, before you even enter thee shop, Wyotech is from what i hear, the best of all places in this industry.

a little update on the car here for ya.
gotta love these shop lights, they are designed so to help us see all the flaws, i'll get some outdoor finished photos when it's 100% done.

edit: i forgot to mention i talked him into letting us not put the ugly upper rain guards around the windows back on, also painted the chrome door handels, blacked out his taillights, he let me paint all his window moldings that were chrome black with flat clear. i added more diamond red pearl to the side vents and hood scoop, we will be tinting his windows with 20% new fresh black tint. we still need to undercoat his rear inner fenders, put a fresh windshield in. all new door panels and dash cover, also had to paint upper dash panel because it was metal /flat black of corse. i also blacked out his front blinkers as you can see them near his front lip.

KeeleDesign

5+ Year Member
He is correct. To do a DIY paint thread would be insain, it would be like reading a law book. Because not everything has 1 set path, In the process thousands of things can change just because you changed 1 thing, Kinda like the butterfly effect. In doing so you have to be mentally capable to diagnose and remedy with the correct solution in a matter of seconds or less.
Their is more than one way to do anything and thus painting is no exception, although their are better and worse ways of doing it, nothing is black and white, and thats why you don't have an abundance of great painters in the world.

sinaloaEK714

Im thinking about powdercoating my GSR rims black but i dunno if they will look as good as they do now...wat do u guys think??? they look clean the way they are (chrome) but i really like the black rims look....lemme kno was up, thanks!

SLAWbuiltNJ

Hey sin, you could leave em crome and then tint clear coat with a little black it will look like black crome it looks nastey imo

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ really dude?

U have been warned already. Please delete your post. U have to be a registered vendor to advertise on this site...