Paint issues

JohnE

Hi all, recently started prepping my 1998 Civic for paint but is taking ages, The car has been many colours in the past and the last colour to go on it was Citroen Saxo gold and it is an incredibly bad job, there is so much paint on it that its taking ages to sand down, also the paint was not mixed at the right ratio so its still soft and clogs the sandpaper if I try to use an electric or air sander. Would paint stripper be the way to go? Just for the shell and doors.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aircraft Paint Stripper will be your best friend on the metal surfaces. Keep in.mind that it will also remove primer so the car will require a quality primer on the metal. Consider using a sealer as your primer. Its more expensive and harder to sand prior to painting, but it'll seal and bond to the metal much better than typical primer. You're probably better off buying new bumpers. The added time to prep the bumpers may not even guarantee proper adhesion afterwards.

JohnE

Thanks for your reply HeX, yes rear bumper and splitter are new and I had a very good front bumper and splitter already its just the shell that has the bad paint on it. Also will the paint stripper eat through filler?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont recall but I dont believe so. But theres a good chance the filler may come off easy if the paint was done poorly.

Would you mind posting pictures?

JohnE

I stopped sanding that area.. Original intention was to remove all filler and fill it again but decided to just get it straightened as want the car to be perfect. After paint stripper I will probably send it off for paint and just get it done professionally from bare metal to get best quality finish possible

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I stopped sanding that area.. Original intention was to remove all filler and fill it again but decided to just get it straightened as want the car to be perfect. After paint stripper I will probably send it off for paint and just get it done professionally from bare metal to get best quality finish possible
Thats definitely a safe option so long as you thoroughly research the paint shop you choose. What color will you paint it?

JohnE

Thats definitely a safe option so long as you thoroughly research the paint shop you choose. What color will you paint it?
Theres a few colours I've been looking at such as Y56 yellow, BG45M Mint Aqua Opal and Tahitian Green Pearl. Not sure yet but want paint flawless on the car, Its been dry stored when not in use since 2001 so its the perfect base for a project =)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those are 3 very distinct colors. I couldnt choose one without knowing the interior color scheme or rim finish.

JohnE

Those are 3 very distinct colors. I couldnt choose one without knowing the interior color scheme or rim finish.
It has an SIR interior with black dash and plastics and will either go for a Work Equip rep wheel or Rota Grids depending on what colour scheme I decide to go for, Leaning more to Y56 yellow as I think it would look good with black Rota Grids and with the rear 3 windows tinted black. Will have to see when the time comes to paint it though cause could change my mind again haha