Painting interior Switches?

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm about to start painting the dash in my sedan black but i just thought about the switches i.e. dimmer, cruise control? What have others done? Should I just paint or is the a optional civic that comes with black switches??

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't ruin the dash by doing that.

Black dash and parts were available in Japan and Euro markets.
Look and swap for those parts.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
Don't ruin the dash by doing that.

Black dash and parts were available in Japan and Euro markets.
Look and swap for those parts.
q=tbn:ANd9GcQoazkKXUOitrrcfrbRKSPVWNiKWrjJlh2tplH05FH_HZj67Jei&t=1[/IMG]
around $1000 for all black trim(if you can find it), or $25 in painting supplies and masking tape...with same or even better results..:what:

I would leave the switches the way they are, paint the dash and see how it all looks together, you can always modify it later, but i would see how it looks first. i have not heard of anyone painting there switches, so i would just leave them.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I plan to do the same ting. Just get a black dash, buttons, center console, armrest out of a coupe and use the paint for door panels, trim etc.Thats what I decided is the best idea

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol @ getting the same results from spray painting compared to original.

Some have gotten decent results, but it is VERY rarely done right and 99% of the time the job is botched or flawed. Sure paint is a lot cheaper, but there is a reason it is so.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
guess i was never a fan of the semi gloss finish from oem, thats why i say its better, because you can customize it however you want, personally i'm working on a flat black interior, looks way better imo, but your right, its not often that its done correctly, you have to know what the heck your doing otherwise it looks like crap.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
painted mine with duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint, followed by a couple coats of kryolon black plastic paint. came out fine, did the whole dash and console (bought a console lid cover) and all the plastics in the car from front to back in my 97 sedan.

I wanted black, so I did it. of course it scratches here and there, but it takes a little paint from the duplicolor sprayed into a tray and one of those 99 cent sponge brushes from walmart to fix the scratch.

Did it come out perfect looking OEM? no... but I love it black. and don't regret doing it at all. I had tan interior and nothing goes with tan so I changed it.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$25 in painting supplies and masking tape...with same or even better results..:what:.
..and later on down the road have it chip or fade, mainly because ppl don't prep correctly and use the right paint
:thumbs up

9/10 time, that is the type of "quality jobs" you see with these cars

speedjunkie_g35

I found my black dash and interior pieces for my 94 hatch for less then $200 in the junk yard. I am using SEM to paint the back panels because everything I grabbed came out of a coupe.

The main thing to having good results is prep, prep, and more prep. Use latex gloves so you don't get oil on the surfaces you just prepped and take your time. Most mistakes happen when you try to cut a corner or rush it.

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do you guys think i should sand the dash alittle like with a fine grit? or should i just clean and paint??

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have grey, dark grey, and black panels and components in my car. I don't give a damn lol. I rather have oem than rattle can paint.