PayPal dispute, where did I go wrong?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The buyer contacts me about an OEM interior carpet I have for sale, it's a black carpet from a 1990 Honda Crx.
I send pictures and details about it, I feel I never misrepresented it, it's in good shape, nothing out of the ordinary.
No wear that was obvious, minimal if any at all, but mind you the carpet is used and 27 yrs old, so I would expect a reasonable expectation that the carpet is not perfect.

Buyer makes payment.
-July 1, 2017 - I ship carpet out via USPS, cost $40 to ship it to the PNW.
-July 5, 2017 - Item is delivered/received.
-July 20, 2017 - Buyer files claim against me with PayPal saying the carpet is worn, and immediately ships item back to me, without authorization from myself, nor PayPal.

-Buyer NEVER contacted me before that to let me know there was ANY type of problem, nor did they provide any pictures of said wear.

I escalated the claim either thatday or the next, to have PP investigate, until a decision was made, the item should not have been shipped back.
The buyer waited 15 days (2 weeks) to file a claim for it not being as described. I find that a bit shady and the fact that there has to be some sort of reasonable expectation that it isn't going to be perfect, it's a used 27 yr old piece of carpet.

-July 22, 2017 - I contact PayPal to let them know the buyer prematurely shipped the item back. The PayPal customer rep I spoke with advised me to NOT open the package and refuse delivery, return to sender via USPS, the way it was shipped.

-July 23, 2017 - I do just that, i take the package back to my local Post office and return to sender.
I was not home at time of delivery.

-July 24, 2017 - PayPal finds in favor of the buyer.
I contact PayPal to let them know I am no longer in possession of the item, it was returned.
I also find out from the Postmaster that because it was refused and returned, shipping was not paid for, the item is NOT tracked by it's original tracking number and I'm essentially s**t out of luck. I would have had to pay $40 to ship it back in order to have it tracked.
I also find out later from that same Postmaster, per their protocol, that because the item was not PHYSICALLY delivered to me, in my hands, and immediately handed back to the carrier, it would not be scanned as "refused/return to sender"

August 1, 2017 - I call PayPal to dispute all of this, the amount of time the buyer had the item, how I was advised by PayPal to refuse it the item, how because of USPS protocol I cannot track the item back to the buyer.
PayPal then admits to me, because they record their calls, went back and admitted the rep should NOT have advised me to refuse it, AFTER the fact now at this point.
PayPal cannot verify that the item was refused and sent back.
However on 8/1/17, the buyer via PM on this forum, admits they have the item.

Key points that are questionable;
-The entire time line on the buyers side, after 2 weeks a claim is filed, without even the courtesy to let me know there even was an issue.
-No supporting pictures.
-Them not being up front and letting PayPal know they NOW have the item AND their money back.
It feels very shady, as if the buyer had some buyers regret and/or did not install it correctly or it was a job above their skill level.
I don't know as I never opened the item.

PayPal will NOT work with me, nor will they take any of this into consideration.
Bottom line, I have no money for the item, nor do I have the item as buyer STILL has the piece.

<end>

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
At the very least, buyer should pay the $40 postage. Did you ever get the carpet back?
Nope, I have nothing.
I don't even know the condition of the carpet at this point, if I even do get it back.
If it is damaged, then I'll have to go after him for that then.

Buyers have all the power and sellers have almost none when it comes to eBay and PayPal.
Yup.
There seems to be a lack of common sense when it comes to either.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Update:
Upon appeal of this case, buyer has carpet AND their money back....
Thanks PayPal for using common sense and being reasonable...:???::roll:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
WTF. Something isn't right here. Was it a CC member that you shipped the part to? (I doubt it because our Classified section is dead haha).

I've met up with you before to get parts from you so I know you're a legit seller. f**k the system.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WTF. Something isn't right here. Was it a CC member that you shipped the part to? (I doubt it because our Classified section is dead haha).

I've met up with you before to get parts from you so I know you're a legit seller. f**k the system.
No, it wasn't a member on here.
Sorry, I don't recall what I sold you, it must have been quite awhile ago.

Boycott Paypal!
I would love to if it were possible.

Drakon543

Ya I don't use PayPal for anything anymore. Cash or certified check only. I won't even ship anything anymore. Something gets damaged or lost in shipment and that itself becomes a hassle. Since PayPal insisted you shouldn't open the package you don't even know if that was your actual carpet inside the package. Too many variables that can just cause problems.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sorry, I don't recall what I sold you, it must have been quite awhile ago.
Oh it was. It was a fender. We met up at Waterloo outlets. Like... 2011? :lol: