PCV, Breather Chamber, Vacuum hoses Info

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't seem to find clear info about these related parts, and I truthfully am not aware of their complete functions and use, so I hope to get some clear info. and not just more guesses or theories.

Breather Chamber:
I find no info on how often this should be cleaned, if at all. I imagine after many years that it would definitely at least help if it was cleaned out with carb cleaner. Is it worth doing, and why?

PCV Valve (Positive Crank Ventilation):
I understanding many people change it every few years because its such an inexpensive part, but I've seen many articles stating that they don't really need to be changed so often. What symptoms are clear signs of it needing replacement? All I've gathered is that it could make some noise that you can test for by removing and plugging the PCV hose to observe if any whining or humming increases when doing so. Is this correct?

PCV Hose:
Yes, this is a vacuum pressure hose. Therefore, what detriment is caused when the hose wears out and begins to collapse? Mine was so I rigged it not to collapse until I feel like getting in there to change out the hose on my D16Y5 ('97 HX). I've read that poor vacuum flow could incur added oil pressure that may force oil through certain gaskets. Would this also affect fuel efficiency somehow from the lack of pressure ventilation going through?

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I test the PCV by disconnecting it where the vapors enters the intake manifold. Then I let the car idle after taking it off and place my finger on the opening to see if there is a vacuum. If I feel there is a good vacuum pressure on my finger than the valve is good.

The PCV doesn't really do anything with your MPG, it's just burning the hydrocarbons caused by blowby gasses (it's an emission thing, it also helps take moisture out of the oil and reduces sludge build up).

I don't see how cleaning the breather camber would hurt anything since your cleaning out the oil in there from the blowby. I would clean it with some carb cleaner as well or let is soak in some solvent.

Also, yes if the PCV system is clogged then pressure will build up in the crankcase and it will find a way out through a gasket somewhere causing an oil leak.

If the PCV hoses are hard I would suggest replacing them because if it breaks then it can cause a lean condition due to a vacuum leak.

TS2008

I bought a pcv valve but I still don't find the way the replace it. Some people said it's easier to reach the pcv valve from under the car, with oil filter removed. But, last time when I did the oil change, the best I can do was touching the pcv valve with my finger that's it

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks, @thendi.

@TS2008, you should be able to reach the PCV valve enough to grab & pull it out so long as the car is raised high enough.