Planing a turbo build on a 1999 civic ex D16y8

Peter Boyles

I'm trying to plan out a turbo build with about 6 pounds of boost at first then later increase the boost higher. I'm able to spend at most three Thousand. What parts should I buy first, and do I need a new cam and injectors? And what websites/stores and Brands should i get / go to buy my new parts. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What are your goals? No need for cam unless you want more than 400hp. Go autoworks is amazing and so is xenocron tuning, expect to spend at least 500 on ecu stuff and tuning for the car to run right.

You will need larger injectors for a turbo build and most likely a larger fuel pump and possibly arp head studs. I have some used stuff for sale if you would like to save some money, I have charge piping for a 96-00 ex/si and I have 525cc injectors, Hks ssqv3 bov and Turbosmart ultra gate 38mm wastegate

Peter Boyles

What are your goals? No need for cam unless you want more than 400hp. Go autoworks is amazing and so is xenocron tuning, expect to spend at least 500 on ecu stuff and tuning for the car to run right.

You will need larger injectors for a turbo build and most likely a larger fuel pump and possibly arp head studs. I have some used stuff for sale if you would like to save some money, I have charge piping for a 96-00 ex/si and I have 525cc injectors, Hks ssqv3 bov and Turbosmart ultra gate 38mm wastegate
Thanks for you repay, my goal is to start with around 200hp then later 300hp, I'm planning to start this build during the spring time or early summer time, depending on how fast I can save my money. I'm just trying right now to find good stores/websites to make a good build sheet, for when I have the right funds saved up.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm trying to plan out a turbo build with about 6 pounds of boost at first then later increase the boost higher. I'm able to spend at most three Thousand. What parts should I buy first, and do I need a new cam and injectors? And what websites/stores and Brands should i get / go to buy my new parts. Thanks

Just remember, "pounds of boost" is not a measurement of power. 6lbs of boost with a T3 will act MUCH different compared to 6lbs of boost on a GT35R.

THIS LINK HERE should help you out with understanding how a turbocharged system works.

Like MC said, look into Go-Autoworks and Xenocron. I had one of the first Go-Autoworks street kits from Greg back in 2010. His stuff is great quality and I'm sure has only improved over time. Def save $500 for tuning.. that is THE most important part of your setup. What you want to be tuned on can vary. Your best bet there would be to check with local tuners in your area to see what they tune with.

I would also recommend upgrading the fuel pump and get some ARP head studs. I originally reused head studs for my build and the head started to lift under boost. ARP studs solved that. Also make sure your timing belt and water pump are in good condition or have been replaced recently if the car has high mileage.