1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

PLEASE HELP 2001civic ex 5 sp, wont start

Discussion in '7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005)' started by MarkyMark717, Aug 12, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. MarkyMark717

MarkyMark717 New Member

I am really stumped on this one guys, I am trying to sell my 2001 civic ex 1.7 and now It wont start up

So originally someone came to look at it to buy it and It failed to start up minutes before they got here, I started it up and drove it around neighborhood every couple days before this. we noticed the main ground wires and negative cable from battery needed to be replaced so after doing so it wouldn't start up right away until I smacked the starter one time and then we were good. from then on it started up right away with no struggle or hesitation at all.

so 2 or 3 weeks go by with me doing the same thing, driving it every few days because I'm trying to sell. So It happens again and 15 mins before someone comes to look at it, it fails to start.

so It has plenty of juice, windows, lights, radio, everything works. just did not want to even try to crank. so next I replaced the starter (remanufactured) , now before doing so I checked the clutch interlock safety switch,

so now with a new starter, nothing has changed and the results are the same, I checked the spark plugs for spark and I don't see anything in any of them. could that be the issue? would all plugs be bad like that?

I believe my main starter relay is working because I can here the fuel pump making noise when I turn the key

and I also cleaned up and tightened any and all other grounds under the hood.
    still does not crank at all, all my lights on the dash come on and that's all that happens

sorry about the book but I really need some help on this one guys

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

Test the battery.

3. MarkyMark717

MarkyMark717 New Member

I have done that already too and even used my wife's battery from her car

4. boofoo

Pull out your multimeter and test whether there is battery voltage at the starter solenoid connector with the key in ON(III).

5. MarkyMark717

MarkyMark717 New Member

I did that too, it read 12 something I don't remember exactly ,

6. boofoo

It might move things forward more quickly if you just post all tests (with details) you've done rather than wait to be asked.

7. MarkyMark717

MarkyMark717 New Member

I have done so many little things messing with this car it's hard to try and remember all of them I'm sorry if I didn't put it all out there, I guess the only other thing I did was testing that my ignition is also getting power to the starter when the key is turned,

8. boofoo

Basic starter test

Disconnect battery connectors.

Put transmission in Park or Neutral.

Disconnect the main starter motor cable and the starter solenoid connector from the starter.

Connect + battery post to starter motor using a jumper cable.

Reconnect - battery connector.

Last step. Connect small wire to + battery post. Briefly touch other end of the small wire to the starter solenoid. Does the starter now crank the engine?

9. MarkyMark717

MarkyMark717 New Member

Okay thanks I will try this and get back to you,