Poll: What would have you done?

What would you have done?

• Same thing as you, clocked him in the face for disrespecting/threatening my wife.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Ignored him and continued to let him talk.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So yesterday was just a s**t day for me in general. I spotted some dude $100 on Saturday night only for him to 'not remember it' the next day and have his friend say he never got it either. I stewed all day at work on this and many other irritants from the day which led me to be an unhappy camper when I finally got home. My wife fair warned all my neighbors to not bother me today as I was not in a good place, yet there was still one guy who decided to ignore her.

I was in the middle of confronting the dude and his friend about the $100 and the neighbor guy comes and interjects into the conversation like he has a right to be in it. I ask him once, firmly and respectfully to 'leave this conversation, it has nothing to do with you.' To which he continued to talk 'I feel like you have some tension with me, I want to talk about it.' I told him one more time to step the f**k back off my porch and remove himself from the conversation that wasn't his. He muttered something and then audibly said 'you're just overboard' as he was walking away.

I went back inside and sent the neighbor a message saying I didn't appreciate him putting his nose where it didn't belong, if he has an issue with me, to bring it to me when I'm not having a discussion with someone entirely different. He continued to provoke me through the messages, so much so that I even told him 'I'd like to see you run your f**king mouth to my face like you know what's good for me. I'll be out to smoke in two. See what the f**ks up then motherfucker.'

So this dude takes that as an invitation to come talk to me, on my porch, at my house. At which point I've already told him to leave, my wife steps in to ask him to do the same. He then put his finger in my wife's face and screamed at her to 'shut the f**k up'.

Here is where the poll question comes in. At this point, another man is raising his hand to your wife/significant other, and screaming at her to shut the f**k up.

What do you choose?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Even though I know it's not the right thing to do, and I know I'd face consequences for it later, I would have decked the dude. The issue here, though (and this is only because I'm not in the heat of the moment and can really think this through, not something that would occur in the moment, and I get that), is that you live next to this dude and have to deal with him now. If anyone ever raised their voice to my girl or threatened her, it'd be all over. One fair warning (you had given him plenty), and then it's lights out.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Even though I know it's not the right thing to do, and I know I'd face consequences for it later, I would have decked the dude. The issue here, though (and this is only because I'm not in the heat of the moment and can really think this through, not something that would occur in the moment, and I get that), is that you live next to this dude and have to deal with him now. If anyone ever raised their voice to my girl or threatened her, it'd be all over. One fair warning (you had given him plenty), and then it's lights out.
Pretty much my exact thoughts on the situation. Thanks, I feel a little better now.

This wasn't the first time he's verbally abused/disrespected a woman in the public eye, won't be his last...But it will be the last time he talks to my wife like that.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would have immediately gotten in between him and your wife and told him to get the f**k out out. At that point, he could either try and start some s**t, or leave. You gave him plenty of warning.

The only reason that I wouldn't swing on him, is because getting charged with assault over words and disrespect isn't worth it. When things get physical, or are about to get physical, then the gloves are off.

Sorry you had to deal with this man.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would have immediately gotten in between him and your wife and told him to get the f*** out out. At that point, he could either try and start some s***, or leave. You gave him plenty of warning.

The only reason that I wouldn't swing on him, is because getting charged with assault over words and disrespect isn't worth it. When things get physical, or are about to get physical, then the gloves are off.

Sorry you had to deal with this man.
True story. Not worth it. In the 'hood I came up in though, disrespect wasn't tolerated at any level, especially towards women. Some things will never change for me, no matter how far I get away from that situation.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
i would say that i'd knock him the f**k out, but my wife would have already done that. she has a shorter temper than i do lol

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
True story. Not worth it. In the 'hood I came up in though, disrespect wasn't tolerated at any level, especially towards women. Some things will never change for me, no matter how far I get away from that situation.

I definitely understand that. I was the same in my younger days but ever since I got my concealed carry license, and started carrying, I've changed my way of thinking to avoid any kind of felony or aggressive misdemeanor, so that I can keep my license.

Hard decisions to make though.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I definitely understand that. I was the same in my younger days but ever since I got my concealed carry license, and started carrying, I've changed my way of thinking to avoid any kind of felony or aggressive misdemeanor, so that I can keep my license.

Ahh yes. See, the CC is not an option for me. I don't and won't ever have the desire to fight with weapons. I don't have an issue, per se, with guns, just with certain people who have access to them.

For example; when I was like 5 or 6, my dad took me on a drug deal deep out by the river in the back properties among my neighborhood. Some s*** went south, I was pulled out of the truck and had a gun put to my forehead. Ever since then, I've avoided all guns except for hunting/sport shooting.

I'm a firm believer in karmic justice. If someone is going to pull a gun on me (again), they better f***ing hope they're ready to kill me, because I will not stand for having that s*** brandished at me ever again. And if they do get the sack to pull the trigger, karma is just waiting for them in the form of a prison sentence.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Call the police.

Sent from your moms house.
Sorry brother. No 5-0 comes to my places without near death or extreme physical harm. Especially around here where police are notorious for brutality.

Jermee

Registered VIP
Call the police.

Edit for my reasoning:
My dad had a similar issue with his neighbor and he ended up going to jail even tho he asked his neighbor to leave his property. The guy threatened him and my dad ended up grabbing him and literally throwing him out of his yard. Dad ended up getting arrested for aggravated assault.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Right there with ya. I do my best to avoid those types of situations. I'll throw hands if it's absolutely unavoidable, but if there is any way to avoid it, I will. Some a*****e's ignorance isn't worth serving time over. Although, in this case, OP has asked this a*****e to leave his property several times, dude continues to pester him, I don't think he had much more of a choice. I think the cops would see it that way as well.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Very, very well said. I completely agree with you. That guy definitely has his warning...

For example; when I was like 5 or 6, my dad took me on a drug deal deep out by the river in the back properties among my neighborhood. Some s*** went south, I was pulled out of the truck and had a gun put to my forehead. Ever since then, I've avoided all guns except for hunting/sport shooting.

I'm a firm believer in karmic justice. If someone is going to pull a gun on me (again), they better f***ing hope they're ready to kill me, because I will not stand for having that s*** brandished at me ever again. And if they do get the sack to pull the trigger, karma is just waiting for them in the form of a prison sentence.
Wow. I couldn't even imagine that. Well good for you man, getting out of that stuff.

In your recent situation though, I think you did what most people would do. Not the "right" thing in terms of the law, but the "right" thing morally for sure.

you can talk to me however, but you DO NOT disrespect my wife and family..
:word:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
To be honest, when I first started reading, I thought "s**t, he hit somebody." I then thought, "If he's asking for our opinions, he probably did it for the wrong reason."

Maybe I was right. Maybe I was wrong. The fact of the matter is, we, as men, have been conditioned to do exactly what you did. We are raised to protect our own. Somebody f**ks with our significant other and its game on. Personally, I would have pushed him first to let him know that this was about to end in a fight. If he pushed back or did anything but back off, I would have hit him. So I would have only let it go one more step.

Who knows what is "right" to do in that situation? All I know is that I hope you hit him hard enough that he won't try that again.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
So yesterday was just a s*** day for me in general. I spotted some dude $100 on Saturday night only for him to 'not remember it' the next day and have his friend say he never got it either. I stewed all day at work on this and many other irritants from the day which led me to be an unhappy camper when I finally got home. My wife fair warned all my neighbors to not bother me today as I was not in a good place, yet there was still one guy who decided to ignore her.

I was in the middle of confronting the dude and his friend about the $100 and the neighbor guy comes and interjects into the conversation like he has a right to be in it. I ask him once, firmly and respectfully to 'leave this conversation, it has nothing to do with you.' To which he continued to talk 'I feel like you have some tension with me, I want to talk about it.' I told him one more time to step the f*** back off my porch and remove himself from the conversation that wasn't his. He muttered something and then audibly said 'you're just overboard' as he was walking away.

I went back inside and sent the neighbor a message saying I didn't appreciate him putting his nose where it didn't belong, if he has an issue with me, to bring it to me when I'm not having a discussion with someone entirely different. He continued to provoke me through the messages, so much so that I even told him 'I'd like to see you run your f***ing mouth to my face like you know what's good for me. I'll be out to smoke in two. See what the f***s up then motherf***er.'

So this dude takes that as an invitation to come talk to me, on my porch, at my house. At which point I've already told him to leave, my wife steps in to ask him to do the same. He then put his finger in my wife's face and screamed at her to 'shut the f*** up'.

Here is where the poll question comes in. At this point, another man is raising his hand to your wife/significant other, and screaming at her to shut the f*** up.

What do you choose?
This is where your maturity level took a nose dive. You knew you were in a bad mood, you let HIS stupidity get the best of you, and it led to a later altercation.

If you can prove that you felt your wife (or if she can prove rather) that you were in danger you can charge him for assault I think. If you tell the cops he pointed his finger in her face and told her to shut up, they really aren't going to take that as a threat. Now if he is sitting there with a black eye and your explanation is he told you wife to shut up, now you look like the a*****e.

But since you don't play well with law enforcement, I would just stay far away from that dude as possible.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ I do agree that you shouldn't have sent the threatening message. That was probably the one mistake you made.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is where your maturity level took a nose dive. You knew you were in a bad mood, you let HIS stupidity get the best of you, and it led to a later altercation.

If you can prove that you felt your wife (or if she can prove rather) that you were in danger you can charge him for assault I think. If you tell the cops he pointed his finger in her face and told her to shut up, they really aren't going to take that as a threat. Now if he is sitting there with a black eye and your explanation is he told you wife to shut up, now you look like the a*****e.

But since you don't play well with law enforcement, I would just stay far away from that dude as possible.
^^ I do agree that you shouldn't have sent the threatening message. That was probably the one mistake you made.
I wish I would have been a little more clear in my typing haste on here. That was basically the final message. I had asked him repeatedly to not interject, asked him repeatedly to leave his opinion at that and to stop trying to tell me how to live my life, I even told him that if he was going to continue to butt into my business, we were going to have a real problem. He continued pestering me and sending me provoking comments. I then basically sent the final message you see up there, not as an invite or a threat, but basically as a 'If you come to my house at this point in time, you're liable to be getting into a fight'.

Not to mention he was asked to leave our property multiple times by multiple people before he got into my wifes face. I took her downstairs to make sure I didn't do anything stupid (she's like my rock) and it was alright until he got into her face and screamed.

Sure, the text may not have been proper, but for the heat of the moment, I'm SURPRISED I didn't threaten him more.

Nevertheless. Don't. Touch. My. Family.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So why haven't you filed for a restraining order or something like that if this has been an ongoing thing?
Dunno man. That's just not how I raised to handle things. If it happens again though, we will be pursuing legal action to protect my ass from getting into trouble he stirs.