poor man's type r in 1999 civic si

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
a guy is selling this:

Stock gsr block with pr3 pistons and gsr rods and a type r crank with a b16 oil pump and the b16 head was porter and polished with adjustable cam gears and comes with a chipped p28 ecu

basically a poor man's type r.

he's selling it for 1000, is that a good deal? also, any estimates on how much hp/whp/tq it would put out?

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think its a pretty good deal, considering b16 heads alone go for 400-500

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if u have the grand to take a shot id say do it...
try to get it for like $800

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
hmm.

thaks for the responses so far.

anyone know about how much whp i'd be at if i got this?

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm.

thaks for the responses so far.

anyone know about how much whp i'd be at if i got this?
its hard to just guess your whp, mainly when you didnt mention if there was a cam upgrade, that would make a difference. Is the engined tuned with that p28? If not that also will be something that affects your numbers plus whatever bolt ons if any come with the engine. But assuming what info you did give id say it probably be fair to expect say anywhere from 140-170whp

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
in order to pass emissions, all i'd have to do is swap a gsr ecu in correct?
Also, any more guesstimates on whp?

oh, and the engine isn't tuned with the p28, it was someone else's that he bought and was using with the engine

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
in order to pass emissions, all i'd have to do is swap a gsr ecu in correct?
Also, any more guesstimates on whp?

oh, and the engine isn't tuned with the p28, it was someone else's that he bought and was using with the engine
In order to properly run this engine your gonna have to tune it with some kind of tuning software, so until you do that id advise against using this p28 till then. And yeah as for running it on an obd2 ecu a gsr one should work altho i dont know if it would pass since you have different internals and a different engine head. I cant say for sure tho, maybe someone else might be able to better help you on here?
As for more guesses on your whp, if your in hopes that someone will tell you that your gonna have 200whp dont count on it. The only real big mod that is done to the engine from what you mentioned is the port and polish job. Even if it is close to a type r, they still arent all that special, a stock type r only puts down like 150-160 whp and you dont really have an actual type r. You still havent mentioned what kinda cams you have cause like i said before that will make a difference on your numbers. Not trying to rag on your setup at all btw, cause for the money it is a great deal and will be a nice engine for you, its just not gonna be crazy fast that you mighta been hoping for even tho 140-170 still anit bad numbers for a na honda motor

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
In order to properly run this engine your gonna have to tune it with some kind of tuning software, so until you do that id advise against using this p28 till then. And yeah as for running it on an obd2 ecu a gsr one should work altho i dont know if it would pass since you have different internals and a different engine head. I cant say for sure tho, maybe someone else might be able to better help you on here?
As for more guesses on your whp, if your in hopes that someone will tell you that your gonna have 200whp dont count on it. The only real big mod that is done to the engine from what you mentioned is the port and polish job. Even if it is close to a type r, they still arent all that special, a stock type r only puts down like 150-160 whp and you dont really have an actual type r. You still havent mentioned what kinda cams you have cause like i said before that will make a difference on your numbers. Not trying to rag on your setup at all btw, cause for the money it is a great deal and will be a nice engine for you, its just not gonna be crazy fast that you mighta been hoping for even tho 140-170 still anit bad numbers for a na honda motor
thanks. do you know if gsr cams will make a difference/be better than the b16 cams in this setup?

UH AzN

5+ Year Member
if you gotta Si then you got 160 stock, why would you spend a grand to get potential 10 more horsepower

ps if you're gonna swap, swap it into an ex. keep these rare models wit the stock engines :]

lightpost08

5+ Year Member
if you gotta Si then you got 160 stock, why would you spend a grand to get potential 10 more horsepower

ps if you're gonna swap, swap it into an ex. keep these rare models wit the stock engines :]
im talking about whp. a stock si is about 130whp.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
keep your b16 and buy a turbo kit or something if your looking for more horsepower you can find a decent kit for under a grand my friend just finished one in his ex for under 600

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks. do you know if gsr cams will make a difference/be better than the b16 cams in this setup?
eh maybe a slight difference but idk the big difference between the gsr cams over the b16 cams altho im pretty sure the b16 cams have a better vtec lobe on the camshaft. If it were me id go over type r cams or try skunk2 stg 1 cams. A guy i know had minor mods like intake exhaust and header i believe but he has skunk2 stage 1 cams tuned and hes making like 160 to the wheels on a stock b16a3 in his 00 si. So thats my vote, im pretty sure you would get even better numbers with a better flowing head and overall better number