Power Door Lock Question

TexRodeo

Hello Fellow Civic Owners,

I have just joined your Civic group and I am a recently a first time Honda owner. I have recently purchased an '03 Honda Civic EX Sedan (1.7 Litre VTEC) in the Shoreline Mist Metallic color (YR528M) with the Ivory (Style Q) Interior. And she now has just short of 131k original miles. The car runs like a dream mechanically but there are some fiddley things that need to be done.

My current question is about the power door lock System. When I engage the Power Door Lock Switch or the remote the Drivers door does not engage at all. The Two Door Locks on the Right Side Front and rear work great but the two on the left side front and rear aren't all that reliable. When I press down the drivers door Lock

Manually all of the other doors lock. So My question is should I be Looking for a couple of actuators for the front and rear on the left side?

I Need to repair this because the Key Lock Cylinder on the Drivers door was flakey and finally jammed and will not turn at all. I hate to force it again and break another door handle which is another story.
So any Ideas with this Issue so that I don't have to keep Climbing over the Center Console from the Passenger Seat to Unlock My Driver's Door?

Thanks,

Larry

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Remove the door panels and inspect the locking mechanisms, ensuring the clips are in place and that the wiring at the master switch, or elsewhere, isn't damaged.

As for the driver door key cylinder, spray some lubricant in it then recheck it.

Also, familiarize yourself with the search function as all these issues have been covered before.

TexRodeo

Thanks Boofoo.

Yes They seem to work great on the right side (Both Front and Back) The rear on the Left I can hear Click and try to engage and sometimes does into the lock position but the drivers door, Nothing. But It does lock all of the other doors when I manually push down the lock on the driver's door. I could be wrong and mechanic, I so am not, But hazarding a logical guess....I would think possibly the Drivers door actuator may be gone and the Rear one is about half gone. Again I don't know. Computer tech I am and can help you all day long...Car Mechanic...I know enough to be totally dangerous and mainly our of financial necessity.

But Your idea of straight or direct connect to the battery may be a good or at least a logical idea to try.

Thanks My friend,

Larry

Thank You HeX,

I shall try just that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexRodeo

OK, here's the latest on my door lock Woes. I have replaced the Two Door lock actuators in the left rear door and the driver's, left front door, although I am not sure I had gotten the driver’s one installed correctly considering I couldn't get the entire locking mechanism out of the door because I couldn't get the top two silver screws of the three in a triangular formation removed of the side of the door in order to remove the entire locking mechanism.

Although I was still able to access the actuator directly in the driver's door and removed the two small screws that held it and the two gray power connectors to get the original one out. Although the other three doors will now lock manually via the driver’s door lock lever and they also unlock and lock via the power lock button and the key fob but the driver’s door just doesn't seem to operate other than manually.

Could I have done something wrong installing the driver’s door actuator or is there something else that could have caused this, something else that I could try to address in order to repair this?

Thanks for the help guys,

Larry

TexRodeo

boofoo,

Ok, so basically follow or trace the (Yellow/Green) Wiring from the actuator connectors themselves all the way over to where the wires all start to bundle up into that rubber tube connector between the door and where the wires all start under the dash?

Yeah, I had seen that one Civic Video where he said it was an Accord...LOL
That Video was on YouTube where the guy was tracing the wiring from the door lock switch on the door, into that same bundle of wires and his wire was completely broken in two, once he spliced them back together, he had a working power door lock switch once again.

But do you really doubt that I installed the actuator incorrectly in the driver’s door?

I know my Drivers Door lock cylinder is all screwed up and won't move anymore, but I am hoping that won't hinder the keyless/power door lock from working in that door.

Larry

TexRodeo

Yeah, The Driver's door Locks and Unlocks Manually by the lock rod on top. And when the drivers door is closed and the lock pushed down the, It locks the other 3 doors and also when pushed down It dims out and turns off the Dome lights, evidentially just what its supposed to do. It just seems that the power door lock in the drivers door doesn't operate other than manually. So Logically thinking, Perhaps I did get the Actuator itself installed correctly, I Hope (fingers crossed).

So By process of elimination, if I have the Actuator installed correctly, perhaps it is in fact a wiring issue.

From what I am gathering that seems to be a common issue with the 7th Gen Civic with the wires becoming frayed or otherwise damaged over a period of time in that door jamb, especially in the driver's front door, A possible design flaw??

Larry

Last edited:

TexRodeo

boofoo,

You are a wonderful person and Thank you very much for all of your help. BTW, Thanks for these schematics and diagrams, my friend. They have really proven to be very helpful thus far. Speaking as a PC/Apple computer tech of many, many years, I am so used to reading schematics, manuals and diagrams. See, Computer tech I am and can help you all day long, hell I can and have done computer and apple repairs in my sleep many times. But Car mechanic, well...Not so much. Perhaps just enough to be very dangerous. And the things that I do and feel comfortable trying on car repairs, I do out of necessity, especially since North Carolina has started taxing the hell out of us for the slightest of car repairs.

I had to learn all of the trouble spots and with most of the cars that I had ever owned over the years, some I had even learned the hardest way possible. For example, with the Infiniti J30 in particular, one of the problem areas was serious mechanical problems with the Metal Moonroof. After a while they would have issues and crap out, and to repair them one would have to take the entire interior out of the car to get to the moonroof and order a repair kit from Infiniti. But Hey, it lasted more than 21 years before it finally crapped out at the end of summer in 2014. Besides, It had been popping for several months before It finally gave out, So No I really can’t really complain much.

But from what I have found in researching the Civic there doesn't really seem to be too many trouble spots on our 7th Gen Civics that one should really be aware of.

Thanks again My friend and I will let you know what I find out when I try this again,

Larry

TexRodeo

boofoo,

You are an absolute Lifesaver. I traced the two power lines from the drivers actuator (Yellow/Green & Yellow/Black) through the door and down into the wire loom to the door jamb. about 2 inches into the door jamb and into that rubber cover, the wire Yellow/Black wire was broken completely in two. I tried and tried but I couldn't seem to locate the other end of the Yellow/Black wire until I traced that particular wire into a rather large gray colored rectangular connector right next to a smaller white connector just inside the car. So, I then bypassed the Yellow/Black wire and ran a long piece of wire from just passed the connector at the door lock actuator through the door down to the jamb and into the car, just under the dash to the wire in question mounted in that large gray connector. I then cut the wire about 2 inches before it reached the connector and spliced in the wire that I had ran into that Yellow/Black wire going into that large gray connector. So I now have power going to my door actuator and my keyless entry now works so now that driver's lock cylinder now falls far down the priority totem pole, so to speak. ;)

Thanks again my friend,

Larry

TexRodeo

Merci, Mon Ami...!!!

When one is poor we have to figure out crazy ways to make things work.

You have a wonderful weekend as well.

Larry