Power Steering Fluid Help

omidcivic

Howdy everyone,
Am new to this forum, I hope is a kind place =)
Have 2 quick questions (Civic 2009 LX 4DR AT):

1. I have changed my Power Steering Fluid (whole) for some reason, but didn't found the original Honda as shown in the photo, but I've used original ACDelco as seen in the attachment. Please advice if this can cause damage to the Power Steering Pump?

2. Anyone knows what's the exact amount of AC gas to inject to compressor? I wanna know the exact no. to fine tune it?

Thanks everyone =)

Attachments

anv2tk

Respected
Howdy everyone,
Am new to this forum, I hope is a kind place =)
Have 2 quick questions (Civic 2009 LX 4DR AT):

1. I have changed my Power Steering Fluid (whole) for some reason, but didn't found the original Honda as shown in the photo, but I've used original ACDelco as seen in the attachment. Please advice if this can cause damage to the Power Steering Pump?

2. Anyone knows what's the exact amount of AC gas to inject to compressor? I wanna know the exact no. to fine tune it?

Thanks everyone =)
guess i'm the first one here lol.

You won't damage your power steering pump by using a non Honda specified fluid. however, after wondering this myself years ago, I ran into some advice from technicians who work at Honda dealerships. They simply advised to use either ps fluid from Honda or at the very least get the store brand at your local parts store, but make sure it is specified for Hondas. something about the formula in it or something ... I'm sure somebody will chip in soon regarding this.

Secondly, as far as your refrigerant for you ac system. I personally recommend you purchase a repair manual, also at your local parts store, for $25. It will have answers to so many questions EXCLUDING how to service your ac lol. But it WILL tell you how much refrigerant you need. Of course this is assuming the label under the hood of your car is missing or cannot be read due to fading (typically you can find the refrigerant specification there). You should really be equipped to messed with your ac though, do you have pressure gauges and a vacuum pump? Compressor oil/dye injector? Also, whats going on with your ac? Is it warm, hot, or does it go hot and cold at times?

Sorry for the long response, just want you to understand that working on your ac can get expensive if you start "fixing" stuff without knowing what the problem is in the first place.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@anv2tk, Im glad to prove you wrong by replying! ;-)

To my understanding, not using Honda specified Power steering fluid will damage the system component over time due to a different chemical formulation. I dont recall the specifics though. So flush it all out & get the right stuff before its too late.

I disagree with anv2tk's advice about buying the auto parts store manual because theyre very limited. Use our search function to find a free downloaded online version of the full Helm manual. However, only a shop or competent technician with all the correct equipment can ensure you have the proper refridgerant amount along with sufficient oil. So I agree with anv2tk in that regard. If it hasnt been done to your knowledge, then itd be in your best interest to have the system drained & refilled professionally to ensure your AC system functions properly for years to come, then do so every 4-5 years and the original compressor can last a lifetime.

anv2tk

Respected
@anv2tk, Im glad to prove you wrong by replying! ;-)

To my understanding, not using Honda specified Power steering fluid will damage the system component over time due to a different chemical formulation. I dont recall the specifics though. So flush it all out & get the right stuff before its too late.

I disagree with anv2tk's advice about buying the auto parts store manual because theyre very limited. Use our search function to find a free downloaded online version of the full Helm manual. However, only a shop or competent technician with all the correct equipment can ensure you have the proper refridgerant amount along with sufficient oil. So I agree with anv2tk in that regard. If it hasnt been done to your knowledge, then itd be in your best interest to have the system drained & refilled professionally to ensure your AC system functions properly for years to come, then do so every 4-5 years and the original compressor can last a lifetime.
:word: