Power steering fluid, leaking inside cabin.

hswan1180

5+ Year Member
Hey guys... I recentlly purchaced a 2001 EX coupe It came with a PS leak and it seems like it was leaking for a long time in to the carper, because it was very stained. I do have a good idea of what i need to do, but i just wanted to see if anyone had any problems like this and what did you guys did. I will keep up as i fix it. I saw a tread in another forum but it seems like after people fix them they don tell people what there conclucion was, so here ill try to give it a proper end.:D

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Power steering fluid leaking into the cabin? That's not possible. Are you sure it isn't clutch fluid from the master cylinder mounted to the firewall.

hswan1180

5+ Year Member
No, I am pretty sure is ps fluid. I cleaned the hell out of the fire wall by that area and after the water dried , actuated the steering and is coming out of the seal by the shatf installed at the ps unit. It sucks. Im debating on getting a new carpet or clean it. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JeffBel

Registered VIP
I didn't think you could get ps fluid inside the cabin.

hswan1180

5+ Year Member
Here is a pic of were it is coming from,

That's the shaft from the cabin side.

Carpet out to clean the ps fluid from the drivers side.

I did slowed down the leak with some ps stop leak product but that wont hold too long :thumbup:

hswan1180

5+ Year Member
Well, it has being a couple of weeks. I was going to change the o-ring from where the leak was coming from, but I realized since the car has 175k plus miles, maybe it was a good idea to just get a fully rebuilt unit, and new inner and outer tie rods. Had to order 2 new o-rings for the inner tie rods slider and a firewall boot from honda, and all good to go. Yes I had to fight the steering rack out and in but with some patients it was good. Next day had the car aligned.

:thumbup:
No more ps fluid leak:D

chente281

So did you end up replacing the rack and pinion or did you you just get a Rack & Pinion Seal Kit.

hswan1180

5+ Year Member
Damn I lost my account login... sorry for not responding... but yes as I stated in my last entry, yes i did get a fully rebuild PS servo.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Blast from the past! :lol: