Power to fuel pump issue please help

Shaffer017

Ok I had just baught a 89 civic 4 door with a d15 b duel point and I am having an issue that has me stumped so ill try and explain it the best I can and hope u guys can help me out. The previous owners had an issue that led to the main relay needed to be changed and now the fuel pump will not prime but I go to look at is yesterday it fired right up with no problem. So today I go to start is all of a sudden the fuel pump will not prime and only gets power to the connector at the fuel pump when the key is turned on for a second then losses power again (with key on still) but when we moved around wires on top of fuel pump it started to prime and started for about 15 min. Then died out again and won't start again now. Any help would be great I know it's not fuel pump cause when it gets power it will start it's just not getting power to the pump thank you for your time .

Pheng707

Sound likes a stupid thing for me to tell you to do this but this happens to mine not too long ago too. you can try checking the two ground wires that is grounded to the thermostat. mine was loose and it stop my car fuel coming off and on.

Shaffer017

Ok so I checked the thermostat ground and cleaned it all up and went through some other grounds as well and cleaned those up and still nothing can anyone tell me which color wire is the power wire to the fuel pump cause I hooked it up once from battery and got like a gurgling it was very faint sound but was not a high pitch whine they usually sound like but i tried to start it and still nothin so is it the pump or am I crazy or doing something wrong

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got me beat I was going to say main relay

Using the tapa ya tap tap..... Tap

Shaffer017

So I also tried jumping terminal 1 and 7 and still no fuel pump then tried 5 and 7 and still nothing I even tried running wire to pump and still nothing so is it pump

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Main relay controls ignition and injector pulse, your fuel pump will still prime if you have a bad main. I think the yellow/red wire is power to fuel pump, I will have to double check. Is the fuse blowing or is it good?

With a test light, apply 12 volts to the ground terminal of the fuel pump connector to check for good ground. You said you have good power at the connector, right? Since you can wiggle the harness at the pump and it starts to prime, you could have an intermittent fault inside the pump itself.

Shaffer017

Ya no fuses are blown and ya it gets power with test light on the yellow wire at the connector for about a second till the ecu part of the relay clicks then the power cuts out I figure that's the prime for pre start but still no fuel pump but I think everything else is checking out and I even ran my own wire from battery to that same wire and only got a light gurgle sound not a clean buzz