Power Window problem: 2004 Civic

bewbays

Good evening Club Civic,

I come to you with a problem. If any of the issues sound familiar please redirect me to any archived forum page on the issue I specifically need resolved, thank you.

I will explain my predicament: Whilst wiping snow off my 2004 Honda Civic (1.7L Economy Canadian Metric Model), I noticed that the Rear Driver Side window (RDSW/RL) was slightly rolled down. Thinking it was nothing, I used the RDSW/RL power window switch/toggle to roll the glass pane up on the regulator: nothing. So I toggled the switch in the opposite direction(down), the glass pane descended until it reached a mechanical limit. The power window's glass pane and mechanism were stuck in the most descended position, in winter nonetheless. I drove my primary vehicle (primary vehicle being the most important detail) back to my place of residence and began looking up Youtube videos for trouble shooting. Checked the fuse: it was blown so replaced. Checked the switch lead with a circuit tester, no input within "up" switch input.

To summarize: I replaced the Motor & Regulator Assembly (MRA), thinking this would solve the issue. Instead, when testing the electrical of the motor and regulator once installed, it produced the exact same problem in the original problem: window would function in descending but not ascending. Switch replacement maybe? At worst it is an entire circuitry issue I am not aware about... Any help would be vastly appreciated. I can provide pics/vids if necessary, thank you for any consideration. Pardon the intrusion. D:

bewbays

In the video I looked up addressing the problem, boofoo, it addresses the front master? I'm looking for driver side rear unless mechanically I am missing something... I cannot express how much of a novice I am with Auto and Electronics. My apologies; you're dealing with a newb.

bewbays

Pardon, let me specify: None of the lights or internal mechanics are affected other than the primary "up" input for the rear driver side switch (RDSW/RL) power window. I've ruled out mechanical, yes. However I just don't know the source of the problem electrically. :c

bewbays

Pardon my ignorance, but the door jamb is in good condition. edit: at least, through the examples for which you have shown, <3

bewbays

boofoo: image.jpeg

I'm doing this on my phone now so hopefully it posts all the pics

daperez13: I checked the voltage using a light activated circuit tester (all i have right now) on the switch, all wires except for middle light up, "up" on the switch doesn't produce a signal though.

Attachments

bewbays

Hello gentleman,

Just wanted to do a quick update on the situation, as i'm sure this is grounds to either lock or let the thread die, but:

The power window on rear driver side is still inoperable, only this update the condition has worsened and now I get no signal to the switch. BUT: I hotwired the motor using a car battery to get the window up. A mechanic buddy of mine came over for drinks on his day off to help diagnose the problem, he was able to copy an electrical diagram in a shop binder. Basically, he has concluded with absolute certainty the problem lies between the master switch and rear driver side switch. As boofoo suggested, he believes the problem could be in the door boot (or master>boot).

Since it's winter time, i'm going to wait till spring to fix the issue. Thank you plentifully for pointing me in the right direction and assisting me to fix the problem. I don't know if this means the thread needs to be locked (since it is not solved) or remain open, but whatever needs to be done; by all means.

Again, thank you!

bewbays

Pinpointing the location of the bad wire isn't too difficult if you have a multimeter.

Did your buddy check for a broken wire in the front driver's door jamb connector?
I do not, is that tool expensive? I'll ask around my friends to see if one of them can lend me one. Guaranteed my mechanic buddy has one. I do not have a lot of tools myself, just the basic's (ratchet set, assorted screwdrivers, hand saws, power drill, hammers etc etc.). Anything other than basics, I would have to borrow or purchase.

Not yet, no. He just came over to quickly troubleshoot the problem. But he had a similar issue with one of his clients with same model and year Civic as mine, so he's confident he already knows the issue and can fix it for cheap. Since he's really busy currently, we organized to return to this issue when it isn't -20 outside (and when he has space in his garage, or if I can arrange space elsewhere, because I only have an outdoor parking space).

I don't know if this thread will still be alive when him an I solve the problem, but if it is: i'll post a full explaination of the solution (or maybe link a video). I just don't want to vanish without posting the actual solution because i feel as though I owe it to the thread to do so.

But i appreciate your time, boofoo, an the others who have selflessly helped me. <3