Power windows dont work. *update* fixed problem

Breier

Hey all, I have 2000 acura 1.6el, and all the windows do not work. It was strange because it started out as an issue that was only in the cold winter months, but once the car warmed up they would work again. That went on for a couple seasons, but now they just dont work anytime. When i try the master window switch it makes a buzzing sound, and tried replacing it a few times with no avail.... i found a thread on here from 2010 and for the life of me counldnt figure out out to post on it. It called to put a test light on the two 20A fuses numbered 10 and 11 (under dash fuse box), labeled p/w. When i did this i had no power to either, and am not sure where to begin to fix that. Hhhheeeelllpppp pls!

.. Just an update. I replaced the relay, and have power to the two 20A fuses and to the master switch now. But it's still making the buzzing noise when I try the Windows :(

Last edited by a moderator:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take off your door panels and unplug the window motor and test the terminals that connect to the motor. you should get 12 volts on one wire when the switch is pressed one way then on the other wire you should get the same but with the switch pressed the opposite way, if not its wiring if you do get voltage to the plug its probably the motor.

i would suggest looking online for a FSM or factory service manual for your car

Breier

Sorry for the late response... i tried the two wires on the harness going to the motor. When i try the switch either way, it's lights up on both wires.... also, the buzzing i was hearing is coming from both the master switch and the motor...

RonJ

Banned
Does the driver's door window motor run if you provide power and ground to it directly from the battery? Up versus down is controlled with the wires simply by switching wire polarity.

Breier

I apologize for all the late responses guys, but definitely appreciate the troubleshooting help... i work away in camp for weeks at a time, but i'll try that next days off. If the window works with direct power from the battery, would that still mean the switch is pooched? thanks again!!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that would mean either your door harness is ripped or your switches are bad. this is my door harness before i fixed it

Breier

Yikes! That's pretty ugly! mine looks clean... i was thinking maybe it got dirty and it's jumping the wires or something... but i tried 3 different switches from wreckers and they were all the same.. so maybe it just looks deceiving and the harness is no good. Because i was also wondering, all the windows dont work, so if it was a bad drivers side motor, that wouldnt stop them all from working right??

Breier

FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!! Turns out it was the GROUND wire. I cut it just where it came into the door, and grounded it to a bolt on the door. All the windows as well the driver side heated mirror works now. Thank you all for your troubleshooting help.