Power Windows Not Working (electrical problem?)

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1996 Civic EX Coupe.
I bought it this way thinking it was an easy fix. I was wrong. I replaced the motors, regulators, power window relay (rc-5001) and even the master window switch.
When I click the switch, there's no sound and the interior light doesn't dim.

I checked the fuses, and the relays, they're not blown and they get power. But there's no power getting to the clip that connects to the switch. If I poke the moonroof clip, it opens and closes, if I poke the master switch clip, nothing happens.

What could be the problem?

Thank you for reading.

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What year Civic?
What fuses did you check?
Do you have a multimeter?
1996 and I checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes. I'm using a light bulb to figure if its getting power (ghetto multimeter).

RonJ

Banned
Step 1:

Click the link in my signature to learn how to test a fuse with a test light. Use a test light to see whether installed 20A dash fuses 10 and 11 have voltage at both metal test tabs when the key is in ON(II). Post the results.

RonJ

Banned
With the key in ON(II), now check whether terminals A1 and A6 in the wire harness connector of the master switch also have voltage.

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
two interesting things happend. green/black lights up but blue/black doesnt. the thing is my female clip is backwards according to that diagram.

RonJ

Banned
You found one problem. The Blu/Blk wire is broken somewhere between the door connector you tested and dash fuse 11. A common place where such wires break is the junction where they pass from the cabin into the door. Look there.

However, there is another separate problem because a broken Blu/Blk wire would not prevent the passenger window from working. Is the main switch on the driver's master switch possibly toggled off?

Last edited:

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is the main switch on the driver's master switch possibly toggled off?
The switch rocker is on ON. I'll post back when I retrace the blu/blk cable. I really appreciate you troubleshooting with me. Thanks.

RonJ

Banned
Pinpointing the passenger window problem:

The switch rocker is on ON.
1) If the Blk ground wire at A5 in the master switch connector is bad, then neither the driver nor passenger window will work. Test whether there is continuity to body ground at A5.

2) Remove and unplug the passenger window switch. In the free 5P wire harness connector, check whether terminal 1 (Grn/Blk wire) has voltage with the key in ON(II). Also do the continuity tests to see whether the switch is bad.

Last edited:

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't how to do a continuity test but I did check the A5 terminal and the green/black cable does light up.

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm sorry. I meant to type "P5" terminal 1 lights up.
I don't have a multimeter, only the test light thing.
As for the master switch, the only terminal that lights up is the green/blk cable.

The master switch female terminal diagram looks backwards to the one I'm looking at here. Picture coming up in a couple minutes.

RonJ

Banned
1) Locate the break in the Blu/Blk wire.

2) Power reaches the passenger plug, so now the passenger switch and ground wire need to be tested.

Then we'll go from there.

There is a way to use the test light to check the ground wire, but I'll explain that later. Can you borrow a multimeter from someone?

There seems to be burn damage (short) visible in the switch plug in your picture?

Yes, your switch plug seems to be a mirror image of the one in the diagram.

Last edited:

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Couldn't get a multimeter, in fact, I had to return the light tester. But I figured a way to make it work. I'm pretty sure it's not recommended, but I hacked a hot wire from the door lock box and now it works. It even works when the key is absent. Could that drain my battery or something adverse like that?
One more thing, my passenger window is working almost. It only rolls up, but doesn't want to go down (even with the new motor/regulator) Could this because of that bad blue/blk wire?

RonJ

Banned
You only want a wire that is hot with the key in ON(II), otherwise you may drain the battery. The problem with the passenger window is likely the passenger switch, but you really need a test light or multimeter to sort it out. Does the passenger window roll up using both the master and passenger switch?

krystl.chocolt

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, it rolls up with both master and passenger switch. I'm guessing one of the blue wires is dead like the blu/blk wire.