Precautions when installing aftermarket clutches.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here are a few things I've learned over the past few weeks while installing my second high performance clutch in my 2007 Si, that I did not previously know.

Clutch Master Cylinder

First of all, the OEM clutch master cylinder does not like the extra clamp load clutches. It's a known issue for the RSX's, 02-05 Civic Si's, and TSX's, but I'd never seen a warning for 06-11 Civics. I will tell you, this warning applies to any Honda that has a triangle shaped clutch force feedback chamber, including 9th gens.
The chamber ruptures and causing all kinds of issues from hard shifts to no pedal force at all.
(ACT Warning here http://www.advancedclutch.com/blog/service-bulletin-hydraulic-clutch-master-cylinder/ )
Differences pictured below... any master cylinder with a triangular shaped chamber is affected.
Left: OEM, Right: Replacement. (picture stolen from clubrsx)

There are several companies selling "Upgrade master cylinder" for 06+ Civic Si's... the upgrade is, they sell you an older style Honda master cylinder... usually from a 2001 Civic... and a braided line and some fittings for $150-$180... this is actually probably your best option, because the master cylinder by itself is $106+ shipping from Honda.... and the port for the hard line is 45-60 degrees higher than the OEM master cylinder, and the braided line would make it so much simpler to install. It is possible however, to completely remove the hard line, and re-bend it to mate to the new master cylinder... it's what I did, and it's a major pain in the butt. Buy the braided line!

Clutch Pedal Bracket

First of all, I've never seen this before, on any car... but I've been running a performance clutch in my Si since the OEM one blew up at 62k miles, and my car now has 167k miles.

After fixing and reinstalling mine, I can see why it broke... it's very, very thin gauge metal, and the bracket flexes a lot when the clutch pedal is depressed.... I would recommend that while your clutch is being installed, or even a new master cylinder, remove the bracket totally (only one more bolt after the master cylinder is unbolted) and take it somewhere to have some heavier gauge metal or some bracing welded in to bring down the flex some, and save yourself the headache of chasing down a clutch problem.
Make sure to disassemble it first. The nylon bushings for the return spring will melt, and the clutch switches could be damaged. Remember how the switches were installed, so they're properly adjusted when you reassemble.
The weak side seems to be the outboard side of the bracket, but the whole thing flexes.... no idea why Honda would make something that takes so much force, so flimsy, with 8 spot welds holding it together.
The bracket is listed at $108 from Honda, but nobody will have it in stock, if it breaks on you.