Problem after fuel filter change...

InvalidUserID

5+ Year Member
Just replaced the fuel filter on my 99 EX and I've noticed some low-RPM stuttering, namely when slowing down to a rolling stop and gentle acceleration when coming from a rolling stop (think of a stop sign).

This was my first time replacing the filter and I followed the instructions here with the exception of putting the two washers on the bolt instead of one on the bolt and one in between the filter and hose. I started the car and it took a while to crank and then idled rough for about 2 seconds then was fine. When I saw some fuel was leaking, I realized my mistake and put the washers in the correct spots. Started again and noticed no fuel leaks.

So after taking it around the block a few times, I noticed everything was fine except when coming to a stop and thats where the mild stuttering occurs. I double checked everything and noticed no leaks anywhere...is it possible to tighten the stuff too tight or maybe it just needs a couple trips to work it out?

I'm going to let the car cool down completely and take it for a short drive later tonight to check again...

Thanks.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you make sure you didnt get any plastic or anyother kind of s**t in there?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you did everythign correctly nothing should net that result.. think about it..you are replacing a filter.. if anything everything should flow better... any check engine lights? go over it again and make sure you didnt do anything wrong.. did you unhook any hoses or wires to get to it easier? its a pretty straight forward swap out..

InvalidUserID

5+ Year Member
I just took it to the store and back and it runs fine now. My brother suggested something that he says I should have done after the swap: turn ignition key to on, wait, off and repeat.

No CEL, no leaks and nothing got into the filter since I kept the red plastic covers on until the last minute. I'm guessing it was just a fluke occurrence

It really is a straight forward swap, I just wish I had removed the bottom connection first. I left that last and had a hard time gripping the filter to get the connection off. I ended up putting the bracket back on and the hold-down so I could get the bottom connection off. Put the new filter in and tightened as much as possible.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the long crank and funny idle at first is perfectly normal. gas needs time to get through and to get the air out. i replace probably 3 a week at work. glad its all better now for you

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yea. steps for easier next time
-take top nut off
-brake bottom bolt lose
-take off the clamp holding the filter on
-untwist the bottom bolt all the way and plug the bottom of the filter with your finger to keep gas from comming out
-start bottom bolt on new filter
-put clamp back on
-put top bolt back on
-tighten bottom bolt
-turn key on and let it sit for a sec and do it again
-drive off into the sunset
est time 10 min

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the long crank and funny idle at first is perfectly normal. gas needs time to get through and to get the air out. i replace probably 3 a week at work. glad its all better now for you
also needed a second to build fuel pressure.. i just assumed he would have primed the pump..

Mono

Banned
Just readjust the idle screw to raise the idle and see if that helps out. If you have no fuel leaks you should be fine, double check for leaks cause you may have fuel seeping where you don't notice it. Spray some brake cleaner or carb cleaner on the banjo area and let the car idle and put your finger around that area and check for leaks.