Problem getting into 1st gear when car is cold

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hello,

I live in canada. and recently its happened to many times for comfort. When the car is cold I have a hard time getting into 1st. Even after its been running for a bit, i get to a red light and it refuses to get in. I have to go into 2nd then back 1st and rev it up to pop in...

Any ideas?

Driving 99 Civic Ex, Manual, 2 Door. 160,000KM

NycivicSi

5+ Year Member
warm the car up and see if it happens..

Black99Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
actually believe it or not, I have the same problems every once in a while and I live in Florida. Not sure why though, sorry

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the same problem. my car hates first gear when its cold. if i ride second for a little and stop. it goes in easier.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from stop. go 4 3 2 1 run the tran hru th gears first to line them up. then see if it helps

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the same problem but it happens more often than to you. sometimes it aggravates me and i just f**king ram it into 1st. its kinda annoying.

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the same problem, but i live in Miami, FL.. so im sure because it is cold. It will go to all gears but first. Kinda annoying especially when you have cars behind you honking at you because the damned thing wont work. I just use second when that happens.

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hello,

I live in canada. and recently its happened to many times for comfort. When the car is cold I have a hard time getting into 1st. Even after its been running for a bit, i get to a red light and it refuses to get in. I have to go into 2nd then back 1st and rev it up to pop in...

Any ideas?

Driving 99 Civic Ex, Manual, 2 Door. 160,000KM
didnt u already solve this prob by topping off the clutch fluid(brake fluid).......the prob still exists??

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry for the delay respond...laptop went on the fristzzzzzzzzz

it works after its warm
i always try going into 2nd if that fails 1st then 2nd 3rd and 1st usualy works.
but when there is someone behind you and its a red light its bad....

jonmaltese6thg > That was my buddies car...lol
i Topped my breakfluid just incase =) it was full...lol

I do try to slide it in slowly...

Is there a way to make the contact (friction point) higher on the clutch?

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thinking of doing a transmition flush again. last one was 10,000km ago (two oil changes ago)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats what she said :nod:
You really have unhelpful posts. Stop trying to +1 and raise your post count with retarded posts.

To the OP - it's pretty normal for the most part. My car has a REALLY hard time going into first when it's cold. 2nd gear was rebuilt like 5 months ago and the guy f**ked it up somehow so the tranny shifts WAY different than how it used to. Pisses me off. But once it warms up, it goes in fine.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's normal.

My Civic did that too. Reverse and 1st.

I would just select another gear, let out on the clutch a tiny bit, push the clutch back in and after that it would slide right into first or reverse.

Illegal

New Zealand
5+ Year Member
its a honda tranny thing. Let the car roll forward or back an inch and it will go in with no issues.

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Beelzebubba> I think the guy behind me would freak out if he sees the reverse lights...lol

I am having to play the clutch toe game to get it into first.

Going to try the rolling thing if i am on an incline next time.

So changing the transmittion oil wouldnt help?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You really have unhelpful posts. Stop trying to +1 and raise your post count with retarded posts.
My B. Not trying to up my post count just adding a little humor to forums :oops: sorry