Project HX: Efficient Style

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man, she looks damn clean now!
Umm im a little jelous right now, wish i had money to paint my car because that looks amazing. I love clover green and white civics but i probably will stay black so i dont have to paint the jambs and engine bay
Thanks for the compliments. They're appreciated after the 2 weeks I worked hard to prep it for paint. That crappy flat black made the process so much more tedious. If I hadnt prepped & sealed it like I did, the new paint job wouldnt grab on properly. I definitely saved slot of money doing it myself.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
I know the feeling, I helped prep one of the guys street trucks for paint, about 5 of us and like two days, it wasn't fun! once we did the last cleaning with the solution ( not sure what it was lol), but I did like 3 passes on the truck and the stuff was so strong I near passed out I was so fried from the stuff hahah =)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Progress Update

Since it's been 3 months, I believe it's time for an update.

I moved recently so my remaining planned projects have slowed down in progress. At the moment I'm working on custom trunk floor panels made of black cutting board for durability, moisture resistance and easier spare tire compartment access. Im also in the process of stripping & repainting some HX rims I will be swapping in place of my current SI rims. I intend to have the lips polished and powder coat the spokes in a graphite/gunmetal-esque color.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How's Louisville treating you?

Talking like a hick yet?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How's Louisville treating you?

Talking like a hick yet?
Louisville is pretty good thus far with a few obstacles here in there. Thanks for asking.

Ha! No hick talking for me. I enjoy enunciating consonants and vowels too much.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Another freshly cleaned engine bay shot.

...and a shot of my new custom trunk panel made of black 1/4-inch cutting board; piano hinged & shaped to open unobstructed by the subwoofer. The matching panel underneath the sub will eventually be completed.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Preview

I had some HX rims powder coated in Silberdillo silver, which is darker than standard silver. The color really varies depending on the lighting. I hoped it'd go on darker, but I can live with it. I rather it be lighter than too dark.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
those look nice, i would have gone white though lol. your car needs an si spoiler

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had some HX rims powder coated in Silberdillo silver, which is darker than standard silver. The color really varies depending on the lighting. I hoped it'd go on darker, but I can live with it. I rather it be lighter than too dark.

very nice, how much did that cost? what type of tires are you putting them them?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This build is really clean. In for more! Good job so far!
Thanks. "Clean on a budget" is the name of my game.

those look nice, i would have gone white though lol. your car needs an si spoiler
White rims aren't my taste, although I admit they look good on others' builds. I wanted more of a light gunmetal color but, as I previously mentioned, they came out lighter than expected. I did acquire a non-SI spoiler, which sits lower, but I havent decided whether or not I want to install it. I like the non-spoiler profile and it seems like any spoiler makes these coupes' rear ends look high and fat in relation to the hood lines from the side profile.

very nice, how much did that cost? what type of tires are you putting them them?
The sandblasting & powder coating cost $220. I saved a little bit with stripping the paint myself with $20 in supplies thanks to some coupons. Stripping wasn't difficult and I still have stripper left for future projects.

I'll be price-hunting for some decent-brand 175/70-14 tires. I don't like the bulging sidewall look of anything 185/65-14 or larger & I rather not risk lowered weight ratings with 185/60-14 even though it's a mild difference. Going too low of a weight rating increases the risk of bubbles and wear potential.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The sandblasting & powder coating cost $220. I saved a little bit with stripping the paint myself with $20 in supplies thanks to some coupons. Stripping wasn't difficult and I still have stripper left for future projects.

I'll be price-hunting for some decent-brand 175/70-14 tires. I don't like the bulging sidewall look of anything 185/65-14 or larger & I rather not risk lowered weight ratings with 185/60-14 even though it's a mild difference. Going too low of a weight rating increases the risk of bubbles and wear potential.

$55 a wheel is a deal. That's awesome; you made the wheels brand-new again. Your engine bay is awesome man. This car could have great re-sell value. :thumbup:

Do you have the center caps for the wheels?

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks great!
Your engine bay is awesome man. This car could have great re-sell value. :thumbup:
Thanks, fellas. I did consider selling it at one point last year but no other desired replacement car I drove felt anywhere near as smooth as this Civic so I just stuck with it. I do think it would merit a good amount if I were to sell it.

$55 a wheel is a deal. That's awesome; you made the wheels brand-new again. Do you have the center caps for the wheels?
At $55 per rim, I couldn't pass it up. I look forward to finding tires and seeing them on soon. I have 3 of the 4 original center caps. I'm looking for a 4th. I'll likely paint them the same charcoal metallic color as my emblems and headlight housings.

I've also been experimenting with using old 80's Civic DX steel center caps because I can powder coat them too, likely a similar charcoal metallic as I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, the DX caps' tabs are slightly smaller in diameter and length so I'm struggling to devise a good way to make them fit firmly without ruining them.