Project HX: Efficient Style

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. Its always great to hear my simple & subtle approach is appreciated. Im glad to inspire more cleanly done Civics. I'll keep an eye out for your updates & feel free to update the "HX owners, unite!" thread.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I drove down to Miami to visit some friends & family. I decided to try out Denso TT double-platinum spark plugs for the drive down (200+ miles) and did not like the response feel at all. I elected to swap back in my used NGK V-powers. Those Denso TTs made high-speed acceleration feel like such a constant flutter that I initially suspected my car needed realignment or at least balancing. That feel instantly went away when I reinstalled the used NGK, which I regapped about a month ago. I've always just used NGK plugs and will continue to do so.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today I returned the Denso TT plugs to Bennett Auto Supply, who told me that gapping them (which I did after I bought them) is what caused the poor performance feel because the platinum surfaces are too soft for a gap tool so they're not even suppose to be gapped. The guy even claimed that NGKs shouldnt be either, to which I replied that I've gapped and re-gapped NGKs several times and never had an issue. He just stayed quiet and went on to issue the refund.

FYI, I re-gapped them because they came at about .040 from factory and the Civic suggests .044. You would think if a plug shouldnt be re-gapped that it would at least say so on the packaging. Anyways, I'm inclined to think that any plug that cant handle a simple re-gapping cant be all that great.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also finally had the oil pan gasket handled today because it had been leaking heavily. Working part-time at O'Reillys lately, I've made friends with arguably the most reputable shop in town and they gave me a great deal. I brought them a new Dorman oil pan with the Honda OEM gasket already set on it using HondaBond, so it was basically just a swap job. I had tried it before at home but I couldn't get my car high enough on jack stands to work on it comfortably, let alone address any unforeseen issues.

It turns out having them do it on the lift was a smart choice because the pan was stuck on due to the previous owner having sealed the leak by slapping on way too much Permatex instead of just changing out the gasket (cheap, lazy b@stards). A new oil pan wasn't necessary, but with my luck I preferred playing it safe and getting a new oil pan in the off chance that the original was warped or damaged another way. For less than $50 shipped, it was worth it. So all in all, I handled the 2nd-to-last rig left by the previous owner (steering column issue is last) so I no longer have to top off the oil level every few weeks.

dancam

Registered VIP
Today I returned the Denso TT plugs to Bennett Auto Supply, who told me that gapping them (which I did after I bought them) is what caused the poor performance feel because the platinum surfaces are too soft for a gap tool so they're not even suppose to be gapped. The guy even claimed that NGKs shouldnt be either, to which I replied that I've gapped and re-gapped NGKs several times and never had an issue. He just stayed quiet and went on to issue the refund.

FYI, I re-gapped them because they came at about .040 from factory and the Civic suggests .044. You would think if a plug shouldnt be re-gapped that it would at least say so on the packaging. Anyways, I'm inclined to think that any plug that cant handle a simple re-gapping cant be all that great.
I have read that no fine centre electrode spark plug should ever be re-gapped.
What kind of plugs was your car originally sold with from the dealer? Copper, platinum or iridium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Per Honda, the 2 recommended spark plugs are Denso KJ14CR-L11 (3167) and NGK ZFR4F-11 (4043), both being nickel tipped with copper cores. They both are only cross-compatible with '92-'95 Civic VXs & '96-'00 Civic HXs. No other Honda uses those plugs.

Therefore, the Denso platinums I was given are not suppose to be compatible. I suspected it more due to the thread body being slightly shorter than the NGKs, which I believe made for a shallower ignition strike that couldnt fully ignite the fuel in the combustion chamber.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As for this theory about not regapping platinum or iridium tipped plugs, it just doesnt make sense to me unless excessive force is introduced. Its visually obvious whether or not you damage the tips so if its done carefully (as I did) then it should not be an issue.

Furthermore, traditional practice (as I'm aware of) is to never assume a pre-gap is accurate. Plug gaps should always be confirmed and adjusted if needed. I suspect part of this anti-gapping theory may just be a tactic to encourage added sales of these pricier and longer lasting products.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank you, sir.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got a great ceramic tint deal off Groupon & spoke to the place before purhasing it, so it was time to remove the old tints. If they werent discoloring they were either scratched or bubbling. Got it all off but the piece by the third brake light. :smackself And now to remove all the corresponding panels to get to that last piece.
20160119_165858.jpg
20160119_165749.jpg

I actually have 70% tint on the windshield yet you can hardly tell. I intend to drive around for at least a day before deciding to go with either 50% or 70% on the rest of the glass.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today, I hit the 5 year mark as a member and owner of my HX!
:beer:
It's come along way from this...

I find it a bit ironically coincidental that I have it tint-less at the moment.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice. How does it sound with the RSX muffler? Any difference from stock?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh yeah. Its subtle but definitely better with a low little rumble thats not at all ricey and absolutely no high end raspiness. I feel it definitely been worth the money over an aftermarket muffler that would cost more but at the near cost of a generic replacement. I had a sound clip on youtube but they deleted it when they "upgraded" a few years ago. I need to record another.

@Gladiator also installed one into his Civic but he has a GSR motor so it should sound much better than my lil D16Y5.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hmm curious as I'd opt for one rather than a stock replacement to my all stock d16y8

It's a direct fit?

Also curious about those door inserts. Do you buy the fabric and cut to size and install somehow or they make inserts specifically for our cars?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hmm curious as I'd opt for one rather than a stock replacement to my all stock d16y8. It's a direct fit?
It doesnt bolt on directly but all it takes are a few simple cuts & welds with a slight pipe flare and slightly bending sone of the hangers. Any muffler shop can do it in an hours worth of labor.

Also curious about those door inserts. Do you buy the fabric and cut to size and install somehow or they make inserts specifically for our cars?
I bought the vinyl by the yard, cut it to an overlapping shape, used some heat to form it around the curves, & used high strength spray adhesive to hold it in place then cut off the excess vinyl. Its alot easier with a flexible fabric like tweed.

I had to cut off the melted plastic tabs that held in the armrest panel then drilled holes in each remaining shaft to remount it using short thick screws & washers.

I think I've seen some precut kits sold online but theyre far more expensive than buying it yourself at an upholstery store. Cutting it to shape is the easiest part of the process.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i used to have 08 civic SI muffler on my old eg quiet around town but loud when your ripping through gears
Yeah, but what engine was in that EG, little miss H-series?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i had the good old fashion D16Z6 out of a orignial 93 civic SI

lol sometimes i miss the quietness every so often but not enough to go back to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just a D16Z6? So you have gone subtle before.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I performed a VIN check today and was pleasantly surprised to find that I'm the third owner and it has no reported accidents outside of my two little fender benders last year. That's pretty d@mn clean for a 19 year history.