Pulling the Transaxle... It won't drop???

j_scobar

5+ Year Member
Can anyone give me some advise on seperating the transaxle from the engine on a 96 Vtec-E. I've have it all unbolted and ready to be pulled but I'm having a hard time pulling it off of the motor shaft. I ended up using a board as an extention and hitting it with a hammer to try and help get it off. I was only able to move it about a 16th of an inch. When I did the same for the back of the transaxel I ended up closing the gap in the front and opening up one in the back. Should it be this difficult to pull the transaxle off; is there anything that I can do to make it easier?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure you have EVERY bolt out. I did the same thing. Ended up having a bolt still in that I didnt see. Once you have them all out, use a big screwdriver/pry bar, and just pry it apart. Is it auto or manual? If its auto, you have to unbolt the flywheel from the torque converter before it will break free.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure you have EVERY bolt out. I did the same thing. Ended up having a bolt still in that I didnt see. Once you have them all out, use a big screwdriver/pry bar, and just pry it apart. Is it auto or manual? If its auto, you have to unbolt the flywheel from the torque converter before it will break free.
X2. If you can only open one side a 1/16 of an inch, you most likely have a bolt left.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did u remove the starter bolt? the one on the bottom of the starter goes to the block. also there is a bolt on the back of the motor holding the engine to the trans check that one too.

j_scobar

5+ Year Member
Thanks guys, It's a manual Tranny, and no I didn't remove the starter bolts. I'll remove them and give it a shot this morning.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you only need to remove the bottom starter bolt but good thing you know the problem now =)

j_scobar

5+ Year Member
Thanks again guys, that was it. I didn't remove the bottom bolt on the starter. Once I took it off there was no problem pulling it.