QUESTION: D16Z6 on a 4th Gen in CALIFORNIA

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
since b16 and b18 is a little expensive and I'd rather put my money on fixing the interior and exterior, I thought about just getting a d16z6 motor. But before I do make that decision, I'm wondering if I still need to get the ref'd in CA and how how would a motor cost? I've looked at hmotorsonline, they don't have that motor anymore. they did a few weeks ago. any other sites?

Also, what would I need to actually do the swap? maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but all i've seen on here is a swap for everything else but the z6

any help will do. Thanks.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you still need to get ref'd but you prolly wont get any s**t from the PD. i never did with my sohc swap

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you still need to get ref'd but you prolly wont get any s**t from the PD. i never did with my sohc swap
yeah but you have an OBD1 already. when they look at mine and see that it's suppose to be OBD0 and the motor isn't, I might just get f**ked. Ok, so say I take it to a smog shop, how do they determine the emission reading? is it the same or sligthly, more or less, different?

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
IIRC cali smog rules say that the motor must be of the same year or newer with proper smog legal stuff like cat and obd ecu. so if you go obd1 convo and use proper ecu for the car you should be ok but i dont live in cali and dont have smog so someone else can chime in and give you a better answer

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can still run obd0 with your z6 but you will not have vtec. You have to get a rpm activation switch in order fo the vtec to work.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how do they determine the emission reading? is it the same or sligthly, more or less, different?

bizoneoeh said:
You can still run obd0 with your z6 but you will not have vtec. You have to get a rpm activation switch in order fo the vtec to work.
rpm activation switch?

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IIRC cali smog rules say that the motor must be of the same year or newer with proper smog legal stuff like cat and obd ecu. so if you go obd1 convo and use proper ecu for the car you should be ok but i dont live in cali and dont have smog so someone else can chime in and give you a better answer
same year or newer will ref. just swapping over same year or newer is not legal. they're just letting you know if the motor is older than your car then don't even try. as far as readings go, i know obd1 cut off is 15 should be higher for obd0 thus easier to pass with newer lower emissions motor. VAFC isn't a bad idea too. hope this helps.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
or you can get a v-afc I can sell you one for 90 shipped =)
complete?
how old is it? I mean not that it matters, but just the condition it is in

same year or newer will ref. just swapping over same year or newer is not legal. they're just letting you know if the motor is older than your car then don't even try. as far as readings go, i know obd1 cut off is 15 should be higher for obd0 thus easier to pass with newer lower emissions motor. VAFC isn't a bad idea too. hope this helps.
your first 2 sentence didn't make sense to me. but yeah, for the most part this helped out a lot. even if I swapped over a d16z6 I still would need to get this reff'ed
anyone know anything about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRE-OBDO-OBD0-TO-OBD1-CONVERSION-JUMPER-HARDNESS-civic_W0QQitemZ250288285145QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250288285145&_trkparms=39:1|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I priced a wiring harness through HONDA a while ago and it was going to cost a grip of money. if this works...could save me tons

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jumper harness is a must. pick that up.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn 2months and I'm in it...d16z6...gotta start shoppin for parts man..

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
you have to get it ref'd. i have the same swap in my ef. i went to the ref and you have to have the p28 ecu, stock intake, and emmisions equipment that came with the z6 (i think its the charcol canister). when all that is hooked up then you have to pass what ever 92-95 vtec smog specs are. then you get the pretty little sticker and can say f*ck the police. and you can get a z6 motor for $450 out here in rialto. pm for more info

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ wow thanks man. I appreciate that. The z6 motor comes with what? wait i can still use the same tranny or do I need the z6 tranny also? axle?

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
you can still use you same d-series cable tranny but the si cable tranny is the best. the motor comes as long block, every thing but dist. ecu harness

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you know how there's the engine harness and harness under the dash. do I need to change those also, or is that what this is for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRE-O...=p4506.c0.m245

sorry I'm tryin to get as much info as I can for CA smog. I don't want a shop to do the swap if I can get every info fromhere on what I need. CA ref's are too tough.

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
that link doesnt work, but you only need the harness in the enging bay it connects to the ecu. you can usually get it from the same place that you buy your motor from but its extra, and you will nee a jumper harness that goes from obd-0 to obd-1 (don't buy the ebay one).
what city are you in???

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, yeah that was a jumper harness from ebay lol...
I'm in northern california. stockton to be exact 50min from sacramento

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
i bought the ebay one and 4 wires were not in the right place, i had to trace all the wires and find where they went and where they were suppost to go. long story but if i ever do it again i will buy buy rywire brand even tho i think i spelled it wrong.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where would you get those at bro? I wonder if ebay has that brand though.