question for all 4th gen owners.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as some might have seen.
ive been making threads for how tos and descriptions of matinece and stuff for 88-91's
(check the sticky at the top of the 4th gen section)

so i want to know, what kind do you want?

cyilinder head removals?
Brakes?
Suspesion?

Let me know.

o3civic_si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cylinder head removal most definitly. Parts needed for b-series swaps.

faster_thn_hell

Consummate Honda Dork
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Suspension! It's the only thing I haven't done. It's probably as easy as every thing else, but a article with pics and all would be nice.

dwack91

5+ Year Member
i would like to know about cylinder head or better yet the right way to do a dpfi to a mpfi swap cause i am going to have to do it before summer

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in the sticky, there are 4 write ups on DPFI to MPFI, they are all good, ones i used for reference.

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what about head swaps like d16a1 -> d15b7 blocks type stuff?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
panda said:
what about head swaps like d16a1 -> d15b7 blocks type stuff?
D16a1 cant be swapped, DOHC D heads can be swapped to SOHC blocks, not with out a milling machine to mill out oil passages

904g4d

I want boost
5+ Year Member
I'm looking into the mini-me with d16a6 bottom and z6 or y8 head. I'm trying to get more info on the actual changes to be made in timing belts, wiring, ecu, vac hoses etc. I've seen plenty info on the actual head swap but no so much about the right timing belt, etc. I like the y8 head because all 3 bolts match on the dizzy and I heard the intake mani flows good, but I would like the lower compression of the z6. y8 is obd2, z6 is obd1, I would like to see a complete how-to on all that stuff. I will need help in choosing the best head for the d16a6 whenever I decide to do it. I will go turbo on that setup soon after.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
904g4d said:
I'm looking into the mini-me with d16a6 bottom and z6 or y8 head. I'm trying to get more info on the actual changes to be made in timing belts, wiring, ecu, vac hoses etc. I've seen plenty info on the actual head swap but no so much about the right timing belt, etc. I like the y8 head because all 3 bolts match on the dizzy and I heard the intake mani flows good, but I would like the lower compression of the z6. y8 is obd2, z6 is obd1, I would like to see a complete how-to on all that stuff. I will need help in choosing the best head for the d16a6 whenever I decide to do it. I will go turbo on that setup soon after.

the OBD dosent matter, you can run a mini me with OBD0.

the y8 manifold is considered the "type r" of D series intakes.

inorder to lower compression with a y8 head(and assuming a a6 block) you will need to change pistons.

if you use the y8 cam gear. the timing will be correct.

904g4d

I want boost
5+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
the OBD dosent matter, you can run a mini me with OBD0.

the y8 manifold is considered the "type r" of D series intakes.

inorder to lower compression with a y8 head(and assuming a a6 block) you will need to change pistons.

if you use the y8 cam gear. the timing will be correct.

So I will use the Y8 belt right? For lower compression, I'll probably just get some nice dished pistons and strong crower rods while the engine is not yet in the car. Also, I heard the p28 ecu would be the best for running vtec. Is this true or can I just send off a pm6 and get it modified to run vtec correctly? I don't want to do an rpm switch because I still won't have the vtec fuel maps. Thanks for the help.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use y8 belt.
low comp pistons for the a6.
crower rods=$700 Tuner Toys or eagles=$250-300
you can send the PM6 off to be chipped and fitted with Vtec maps

904g4d

I want boost
5+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
use y8 belt.
low comp pistons for the a6.
crower rods=$700 Tuner Toys or eagles=$250-300
you can send the PM6 off to be chipped and fitted with Vtec maps

great info! I'll look into eagle rods. Thanks.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so mostly engine stuff.

Head removal
TQ specs?

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
green i thought that the zc dohc head could fit onto the stock block that i have in my civic because the head gasket is the same when i looked it up on a parts site and the two had the same codes, but i also read that the one hole in the head needs to be milled around. but sure put up some info about head swaps and mod lists cause it would be interesting to see the different combonations you could get from different series of engines.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope DOHC head cant swap onto the SOHC block. not with out oil passages modified.

its not really worth it. its easier and maybe cheaper to just buy a whole dohc d series

904g4d

I want boost
5+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
nope DOHC head cant swap onto the SOHC block. not with out oil passages modified.

its not really worth it. its easier and maybe cheaper to just buy a whole dohc d series

Really, the only time doing stuff like that is maybe worth it is if you have all the skills/tools to do it yourself and you're experimenting with spare parts laying around.