Questions about 92 civic sedan

Pyrok

Hey, I just recently acquired one of these and I was wondering what would cause the speedo to intermittently work? It will work fine sometimes for a good while then I hit a bump or shift and it quits.

Also, I found out my car came with an aftermarket suspension that has about 4" of adjustability. How far can I go without rubbing on 17" tires? I already scrape coming out of my apt but I'm moving soon :D

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey, I just recently acquired one of these and I was wondering what would cause the speedo to intermittently work? It will work fine sometimes for a good while then I hit a bump or shift and it quits.
Check the plug connection at the transmission. It may just be loose or the pins have some corrosion.

Also, I found out my car came with an aftermarket suspension that has about 4" of adjustability. How far can I go without rubbing on 17" tires? I already scrape coming out of my apt but I'm moving soon :D
FYI, 17's are generally considered too big to fit well on 5th gen. Civics. With that said, trying to lower the suspension while avoiding tire rub will depend on the quality and weight ratings of the suspension equipment more than anything. If you cant provide the brands and models of the struts & springs, post some pictures because its likely that someone on here will know what they are. Once we identify that, you can get a much more accurate idea of how low you can (the should) go.

Pyrok

I meant the tires are 17, the wheels are the stock steelies and directional hubs that I assume came with the car. I tried to find a brand name but the most I found was S2 and some numbers, but I really doubt they're skunk2. They have red springs.... I'll get underneath it tomorrow and take some pics, too dark now.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I meant the tires are 17, the wheels are the stock steelies and directional hubs that I assume came with the car. I tried to find a brand name but the most I found was S2 and some numbers, but I really doubt they're skunk2. They have red springs.... I'll get underneath it tomorrow and take some pics, too dark now.
Please keep in mind that only offroad enthusiasts refer to tire diameter when in those contexts. In a Honda forum, just stick to wheel diameter & tire size because honda wheel wells & suspension upgrades are nothing close to offtoading. Ill assume you meant hub caps because theres no such thing as a directional hub, as far as I know.

Through the magic and wonder of Google, using the phrase "s2 struts", the results showed you may have a B&G suspension kit. Google it for yourself and track down the parts numbers for your equipment. Then you'll have all the info needed for an informed lowering.

Pyrok

I was only using tire size because I don't plan on changing anytime soon and I didn't know the stock wheel size. Also I looked up b&g and it looks like they only make coilsprings. These are full coilover shocks

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why are you set on 17s? Do you have those wheels / tires installed now? Maybe try a smaller size to avoid rubbing.

Pyrok

I can't afford to swap out wheels for anything better than the stocks atm. I recently moved and have a new house payment. Once I do go aftermarket I'm going to try and land somewhere in the 14-16" range but I'm limited to the budget wheels I find on Craigslist for the time being. Plus the tires that came with it are pretty much new.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why are you set on 17s? Do you have those wheels / tires installed now? Maybe try a smaller size to avoid rubbing.
Read the last few comments. He meant 17" was his tires' outer diameter and not the rim size.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I figured the OD of the tire was more important to the original question anyway
As research will show you (hint hint), everyone on this forum will refer to the wheel diameter and tire size with very, very few exceptions. You could simply research drop suggestions in any number of ways. Stored past information is the main purpose of forums.

CaptainJochem

Respected
To add onto this in regards to your intermittent speedometer reading. If the plug by the transmission (vehicle speed sensor) doesn't do the trick then it is most likely the chip board behind the speedometer itself. I know this because I had the same problem when I bought my Civic. The speedometer would usually read just fine when I first started it up and after a few minutes it would read erratically or just zero.

In the case of my board, it was cracked a little and therefore only sometimes read correctly... All you need to do is remove the cluster from the dashboard, then take the cluster itself apart and you'll see three boards (temperature/fuel, speedometer, rev counter). The board in the middle is for the speedometer. Swap that old one out for a salvaged piece and voila!

(21) Replacing Circuit Boards.jpg
The one on the right is my old, cracked one, and the one on the left the working one!