R18 motor TURBO KIT

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aznwannabe said:
gotcha. I would just think that the lag would be unbearable. the car would cross the line before you spooled.. lol.
its not that bad of a lag, more lag, but like it doesnt start spooling to late, just have to size the turbo right.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.ststurbo.com/

there is the remote mout turbo kits, there not that bad, there are a few F-bodies with them here in STL

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sleeper said:
Haha, I already mentioned it 8)
i know, thats why i gave the link....just backing up your info

Machinehead115

Team Four Door
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man i can't find it now but someone posted a civic a while back that had the blow off valve in the stock air box, or something like that, and the turbo in the rear by the muffler...

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sleeper said:
no not really. Make flange to bolt up to head, have a sort lenth of exhaust piping coming off the flange to another flange(t25, t3, t4 flage whatever) make a bong for for o2 inbetween, install trbo... make custom downpipe, another bong for downstream o2 using an mechanical 02 simulator at the end of sensor(4bucks). its really not hard at all people.
first problem would be......how are you bolting this flange to the head in the first place?you'd have to first cut this "header/cat" off,grind/resurface the area to make it PERFECTLY smooth, make a gasket, make a flange and then somehow connect it to the head.welding is probably out of the question since its cast, and that wouldnt be very reliable in most cases, especially with the location of this and the extrememly high temperatures it will see. and in order to actually bolt it on like usual, you'd have to drill into the head, tap the holes, place studs, and then bolt on like normal. so this is going to be harder than you see it as being

btw, its not bong........its bung;)

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aron your way is a fix, but i have a better solution......k20 swap :thumbs up

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealthy said:
first problem would be......how are you bolting this flange to the head in the first place?you'd have to first cut this "header/cat" off,grind/resurface the area to make it PERFECTLY smooth, make a gasket, make a flange and then somehow connect it to the head.welding is probably out of the question since its cast, and that wouldnt be very reliable in most cases, especially with the location of this and the extrememly high temperatures it will see. and in order to actually bolt it on like usual, you'd have to drill into the head, tap the holes, place studs, and then bolt on like normal. so this is going to be harder than you see it as being

umm... you do know the cat isnt part of the head right ;) THeats where im talking about.. flange right where the cat goes. replacing the cat.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealthy said:

look at this image posted earlier

it shows the cat bolting on at the top, bolt the adapter plate and turbo in place of the cat and bam its the new ghetto HF mani, and since its already a gasket surface no need to make it smooth.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sleeper said:
umm... you do know the cat isnt part of the head right ;) THeats where im talking about.. flange right where the cat goes. replacing the cat.
oh ok now i see where the cat has a flange to the "header".although this "header" wouldnt be very efficient, i guess itd be the easiest way to "just make it work"

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealthy said:
oh ok now i see where the cat has a flange to the "header".although this "header" wouldnt be very efficient, i guess itd be the easiest way to "just make it work"
the header is cast as part of the head, there is no other way to do it. if anything add a 45 degree bend and bam

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealthy said:
yeah but thats why you dont bolt the turbo directly... do it like how i descride & its basicly like the average setup.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
look at this image posted earlier

it shows the cat bolting on at the top, bolt the adapter plate and turbo in place of the cat and bam its the new ghetto HF mani, and since its already a gasket surface no need to make it smooth.
No s**t, that's a good idea

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
the header is cast as part of the head, there is no other way to do it. if anything add a 45 degree bend and bam
i also said that... :shock: & yeah, very true 8) with a o2 "bung" your set. I think your the only one actually reading my post.. lol

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sleeper said:
i also said that... :shock: & yeah, very true 8) with a o2 "bung" your set. I think your the only one actually reading my post.. lol
I have noticed that it takes 2 people to say something on CC for one persont to beleave it, thats why alot of my posts include links and pics that noone looks at =)

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
I have noticed that it takes 2 people to say something on CC for one persont to beleave it, thats why alot of my posts include links and pics that noone looks at =)
actually, i saw the pic, just didnt notice the flange ;)

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
doug piston said:
werd... but i seen turbo that run off the ass end of the exhaust. so maybe somethin like that
yep that;d be the best bet
aznwannabe said:
how would that create forced induction? I mean I can see it pulling out the exhaust faster, which would allow more air to be pushed IN. but what's gonna get the air in there?

I've seen the 350z twin turbo exhaust. they just have turbines in the muffler that pull out the exhaust faster.

but I just don't see how that would do anything forced induction wise.
it works the same way as a normal turbo the exhaust gas spools the turbo. the only difference is where this turbo is located
Blahman240 said:
You miss understood, there is a turbo kit that mounts to the exhaust pipe, not for honda's though, and it goes back to the intake.

Running just a turbo on the exhaust would cause you to loose back pressure thus giving the same effect as open header or something to that nature.
wrong. the turbo would create backpressure since it would be the most restrictive thing on the exhaust. thats why on turbo vehicles after the exhaust goes through the turbo you can run huge piping.
aznwannabe said:
gotcha. I would just think that the lag would be unbearable. the car would cross the line before you spooled.. lol.
lag is from the size of the turbo. it would spool up pretty much the same as it would if it were under the hood.

also these turbo;s
- run much cooler since they;re not in the engine bay and the exhaust cools down some by the time it gets to the turbo
- draw in cooler air
- don;t need an intercooler, the piping running from the turbo back to the intake is enough.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
itsmycookie said:
wrong. the turbo would create backpressure since it would be the most restrictive thing on the exhaust. thats why on turbo vehicles after the exhaust goes through the turbo you can run huge piping. lag is from the size of the turbo. it would spool up pretty much the same as it would if it were under the hood.
You misinturprtededed or whatever way its spelt my post. I ment just running a turbo on the exhaust, not going back to the TB at all. Which will allow the turbo to spin, and nothing else to happen.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is a lot of researching to be done lol

Dont know if anyone has seen or heard of it, but the Honda Fit's motor is an L15 (1.5l motor) and it's design is very similar to the R18 (in terms of manifolds that is)

here is the Mugen Supercharger kit (although different, the design of the supercharger is what we with R18s would want for a turbo mani)

but right now, like said above the K20z3 is a hot item.. it's gonig to be awhile before ANYONE with a DX/LX/EX will see any engine mods... want to go fast? either should have bought the Si or swap for a K-series

I myself... 6years of warrenty on this motor.. going to leave it stock till time runs out on it, then i'll swap in a built ass motor =)

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
You misinturprtededed or whatever way its spelt my post. I ment just running a turbo on the exhaust, not going back to the TB at all. Which will allow the turbo to spin, and nothing else to happen.
well the exhaust would still have to pass through the turbo... but why the hell would you just have a turbo on the exhaust? and not hook it up?