1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

rack and pinion or inner tie rods? how to differentiate?

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by fabster, Oct 9, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. fabster

fabster New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Hi all,

I've searched and didn't find a post that is related to diagnosing. I have play in my steering both parked and driving. I've done a check on both wheels off the ground and I see play in both inner tie rods in addition to no grease in both boots. How can I know if I should just replace both inner tie rods or the whole rack and pinion? Is it a good assumption that if both have play it's the R&P or not necessarily? I've also heard of adjusting the R&P, when is that in order? Thanks!

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

If the rack is not leaking PS fluid, start by replacing the loose inner tie rods and the boots. Then go from there.

3. fabster

boofoo,

Thanks. That's fair and helpful. I don't have power steering fluid leaking. So the fact that both inner tie rods have play don't seem to suggest to you that it's the rack and pinion itself? I figured inner tie rods likely go out at different times instead of as a pair. I'd appreciate thoughts on this. Thanks!

4. boofoo

Sounds like an inner tie rod problem.

5. fabster

I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

6. fabster

as an update I went ahead and replaced both inner and outer tie rods on both sides. It wasn't too difficult. However, I still have some minor play which probably points to the rack and pinion but it's much better.

7. boofoo

Are you rack mount bolts loose? Start there.