Radio turned off, won't turn on

CivicEx'00

I've read a lot of these and I've been able to narrow it down quite a bit but haven't had luck figuring it out

I drive a Civic ex 2-door 2000

I've been wrestling with trying to install this 7" touch screen headunit for about a week now, but as soon as I thought I was finally done, boom it turned off for no reason. It had been installed and playing music for about 5 minutes. I was touching the screen and changing the settings when it happened (not important settings)
Edit: it's a Rockville RGP7 headunit

Now I'd replaced the radio fuses not 20 minutes before this. (Fuse #10, 10A under the dash, and #32, 7.5A under hood) so unless I missed one I doubt that's it. Also the one on the radio is ok.

After that I took the stereo out and checked my power connections. Both ignition and constant read a steady 12V with a solid ground.

I plan to call the stereo company tomorrow to try and claim warranty, but I'm not sure how that will go down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, trying not to take a loss on a $200+ radio

daperez13

Respected
Are you using an adapter (for your specific vehicle) from the stock harness to the stereo's harness or did you cut the stock harness on your car?

Remove all your connections and start fresh. For now, set the radio on a steady surface but close enough to reach the wires and only connect the yellow (constant), red (switch) and black (ground) wires. Do not connect the orange (illumination) wire at this time. Test the radio for power. Make sure all your plugs and connections are solid, wiggle them a little to make sure they're not loose. If the radio has good power, then connect your orange wire to illumination; be careful with this connection as connecting it to the wrong wire will result in a short, intermittent power issues or blown fuses. Test the illumination by turning your lights on and verifying the radio dims accordingly. Tape all your exposed wires/connections with electrical tape to avoid any unnecessary shorts.

If all of this checks out, make the rest of your connections and test the radio outside of the dash. Then, gently install it into the dash making sure not to pinch any wires. If you have no problems with the stereo outside the dash but then experience issues inside the dash, then your problem is with the car; possibly the harness, a loose connection, a short, bad wires, etc.

CivicEx'00

Are you using an adapter (for your specific vehicle) from the stock harness to the stereo's harness or did you cut the stock harness on your car
Yes, I'm using a vehicle specific harness to the one that came with the radio

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Are you using an adapter (for your specific vehicle) from the stock harness to the stereo's harness or did you cut the stock harness on your car?

Remove all your connections and start fresh. For now, set the radio on a steady surface but close enough to reach the wires and only connect the yellow (constant), red (switch) and black (ground) wires. Do not connect the orange (illumination) wire at this time. Test the radio for power. Make sure all your plugs and connections are solid, wiggle them a little to make sure they're not loose. If the radio has good power, then connect your orange wire to illumination; be careful with this connection as connecting it to the wrong wire will result in a short, intermittent power issues or blown fuses. Test the illumination by turning your lights on and verifying the radio dims accordingly. Tape all your exposed wires/connections with electrical tape to avoid any unnecessary shorts.

If all of this checks out, make the rest of your connections and test the radio outside of the dash. Then, gently install it into the dash making sure not to pinch any wires. If you have no problems with the stereo outside the dash but then experience issues inside the dash, then your problem is with the car; possibly the harness, a loose connection, a short, bad wires, etc.
Thank you for the detailed reply

The weird thing is, it happened all of a sudden. I was no longer wiggling the stereo around or moving the wires like I had been. This makes me think it drew too much power for the car to handle? But then that would lead me to a blown fuse, which I couldn't find anywhere

Also, you mentioned to check my wires (switch, constant, and ground) for accurate power, which I did right at the leads on the plug going into the radio, and they both had steady 12V. I'm at a loss for what it could be other than a faulty unit :(

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

daperez13

Respected
The weird thing is, it happened all of a sudden. I was no longer wiggling the stereo around or moving the wires like I had been. This makes me think it drew too much power for the car to handle? But then that would lead me to a blown fuse, which I couldn't find anywhere

Also, you mentioned to check my wires (switch, constant, and ground) for accurate power, which I did right at the leads on the plug going into the radio, and they both had steady 12V. I'm at a loss for what it could be other than a faulty unit :(
So you're saying you're no longer able to make the unit power on? If that's the case, definitely double check all your fuses (engine bay and below the dash) and verify the fuse on the stereo; it may have an internal fuse as well as one on the stereo's harness.

After you check all your fuses, disconnect all the wires and tie the yellow and red wires (on the radio side) together, connect those to the yellow on the car's harness and then connect the black on the radio to the black on the car's harness and see if you get power.

Where any modifications to the car's harness made by the previous owner or yourself?

daperez13

Respected
Why check all fuses when only the two I posted are relevant?
Because I've seen the results of people mutilating their car's harness and then making funky connections to other accessories, hence my question at the end of post #6.

Where any modifications to the car's harness made by the previous owner or yourself?
Does it hurt to check for any other blown fuses?

daperez13

Respected
Wouldn't it be most logical and efficient just to start by inspecting and testing the two fuses that are actually designated for the stereo?
Of course! I never argued this or advised the OP to do otherwise, I only provided additional troubleshooting steps and suggestions. Maybe I should ask him to check his exhaust, that way, you have a legitimate excuse to b***h about something.

Wouldn't you also agree that there's a logical order for diagnostic steps based on the description of this problem? Checking whether one or more of the stereo fuses is blown should be at the top of the list for starting places.
This is the same rhetorical question as the first one. So that this post doesn't turn into a pile of s**t, gets locked and becomes useless for the OP, I want to clarify that the OP should start by checking the stereo fuses (again) and then moving forward with isolating and troubleshooting.